Ring and Pinion

Vettn71

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a ring and pinion to install in my 95 GT. Since this is just the gear, not the differential do I have to worry about spline count? I wouldn't think so, but some posts seem to say that

TIA

Jim

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
the yoke will come off your current pinion and reinstalled onto the new pinion.
So YES the spline count matters.

Rallim

Reaction score
...........I did not even think about this. *goes to check 4.10's sitting in garage*

kb1982

Reaction score
Your question is kinda vague. Are you referring to the axle spline count? 28 is the most common, but some vehicles came with 31 spline from the factory. Its the carrier(posi unit, locker, spool, mini spool etc.) thats bolted to the ring gear that will determine which spline count axles you need. If your talking about the spline count on the pinion gear that the yoke flange mounts to, its a 28 spline. There are different yoke flanges, and they feature 30 spline count but have different bolt patterns and allow use of bigger u joints. Mostly found in trucks. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/drivetrain/1308_ford_rear_axle/

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Your question is kinda vague. Are you referring to the axle spline count? 28 is the most common, but some vehicles came with 31 spline from the factory. Its the carrier(posi unit, locker, spool, mini spool etc.) thats bolted to the ring gear that will determine which spline count axles you need. If your talking about the spline count on the pinion gear that the yoke flange mounts to, its a 28 spline. There are different yoke flanges, and they feature 30 spline count but have different bolt patterns and allow use of bigger u joints. Mostly found in trucks. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/drivetrain/1308_ford_rear_axle/

Good information on that link. So are there aftermarket yokes, I guess for 30-spline pinions?

kb1982

Reaction score
There sure are. And they are fairly cheap. The 35 dollar range, and can be bought to fit different bolt flange sizes and for different u joint size, if you need it, its out there.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
While your doing gears (ring & pinion) make sure you get new axle bearings, and should get a ford racing t-lok rebuild kit while its all open. Oh and if your 95 is an auto, get 4.10s. I did them in my 95 GT auto, and its a huge kick in the ass

Cpotts13

Reaction score
While your doing gears (ring & pinion) make sure you get new axle bearings, and should get a ford racing t-lok rebuild kit while its all open. Oh and if your 95 is an auto, get 4.10s. I did them in my 95 GT auto, and its a huge kick in the ass

Like he said, you only want to pop that sucker open once, you will know why. So why you are in there do a full rebuild, including all bearings and axle seals. It is super cheap insurance. Even if you have a manual do 4.10's.. You will thank us later..

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I appreciate the help, guys. I am planning to do the full meal deal. Don't know about 4.10s, though. I've got a 4R70W in it, so I should get some kick from that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.