Rough Riding?

RufusT

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 1994 Mustang GT with automatic transmission... The car was purchased with an indicated 161k miles on it, but the speedo gear had broken in 2009 - so I'm sure there are a lot more on it than that. The motor is strong and I drive it all the time. This is my dream car... However, it seems to have a pretty rough ride. I have been in a friend's 2003 Mach 1 and it rides a whole lot smoother. At first, I thought that the issue could be related to old shocks/struts - as they appeared to be stock. They were replaced with Monroe shocks, as I really just want a reasonable ride and I would expect the original stock ride to be good enough...

The car seems to jerk and jar with the slightest imperfections on the road. I can live with it, as I do enjoy driving it now - but it just seems like something is not right. I am interested in suggestions of what could cause the car to drive in a more rough/jerking/jarring manner. I have to believe it is a matter of components wearing out over the 20 years since it was first created, but I don't want to just throw parts at it.

Any ideas?

Rufus

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Monroe isn't exactly a top shelf shock, is it now? If you like the ride of the Mach 1 so much, why not get a FRPP suspension kit? It's pretty much the same stuff. I'd also inspect the bushings, and change them if they are worn out.

Edit: Oops, should have checked before posting this, looks like the kit is not available anymore. Either way, some budget performance shocks and struts, and ford B springs, and you should have a good ride, and it should handle fairly well too. You can also look into H&R, Eibach, Koni and Bilstein, if you want to spend a bit more.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have FR B springs and Tokico blues. It rides well on good roads. That being said my daily commute is like death. But its a **** road, and a short wheel base.....

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I have Tokico Blues and sport lines on mine, with new rear control arms and a bumpsteer kit and new rack up front. Rides 100% better than it used to. A few of my friends that have rode in it the past few days are surprised at how well it handles and how (relatively) smooth the ride is considering how it sits.

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
I replaced the shocks with stock replacements (Monroe) primarily because the old ones were worn out. I am reasonably sure they were the stock shocks/struts from 1994. It improved the ride a little, but it still seems to be quite rough in comparison to just about any other vehicle I have ridden in. I am starting to suspect it could be the springs are worn after 20 years. I bottom the suspension out with the slightest bump in the road, jarring the entire vehicle. As I am planning to change the rear end gears out, I probably will do a bushing replacement at the same time in the rear, even though they don't appear to be in bad condition. Does anyone have any idea what the stock ride height of the 94/95 Mustangs was and where I would measure to do a comparison?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online