SCT Chip [emoji849]

A_+

Reaction score
I’m sure this discussion has been had many times but I’m really wondering if it’s only good for cars with AT LEAST an aftermarket cam.
I’ve been running this chip since the day i got this car (it came with the car) about 6yrs ago and I really don’t know if it helps at all. Long story short, I removed the chip yesterday because I’ve had it set to 0 since I got it re-tuned a while back, only because it the only setting that works better with my car. I know what your gonna say “you need to get it tuned by someone that knows what they’re doing” and that’s fine but after I removed the chip, it seems to run just as well if not, better. Only difference is that now my CEL is on. I’m sure it’s due to all emissions being deleted. However, the main reason I removed the chip was because I was getting the 511 & 512 (I think) codes on my obd1, the ones about failing to retrieve memory or what have you, KAM or KOM, I don’t have the device with me. But I’m wondering if the chip affects or prevents me from getting an accurate code read? I drove the car to work today and plan on plugging the scanner back on when I get home. Hopefully I can get a better read. This is for my built short block minus a cam but with a fox swap. I’m really surprised on how well it runs with all the crap that has been capped off and deleted. [emoji482]

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
No. The previous owner had a chip tuned by bama. The car ran like crap so I had a local tuner change some things and it ran a little better. Turns out it was the common surging idle parts that needed to be cleaned and recalibrated. However, ever since i got a new tune, I’ve been running the chip in the zero position. Maybe he made that a mode for daily driving or just turned off a few things since I don’t see a CEL but it runs fine. I was checking for some codes yesterday and that when I got the failed memory codes so I removed the chip last night and plan on checking again when I get home.

lutter94

Reaction score
so you found and installed a stock tuned chip?
Is there such a thing as a stock tuned chip? He said obd1 so I'm assuming it's 94 95 5.0. Tapatalk, can't see signatures. The chip adds the tune but removing it just makes the ecm factory again. You never actually modify the ecm, just the chip overriding it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
So could there be something wrong with my computer since I’m getting a KAM error and the other memory issue? The car runs fine, I guess, smells a little rich sometimes but other than that, it’s ok. I guess I’m just surprised that when I did get a code, it was only for egr and another emissions code.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a stock tuned chip? He said obd1 so I'm assuming it's 94 95 5.0. Tapatalk, can't see signatures. The chip adds the tune but removing it just makes the ecm factory again. You never actually modify the ecm, just the chip overriding it.

why is it impossible to have a fairly stock tune on a chip? I thought there had to be something in the spot where the chip went no matter stock or aftermarket but its been a few years since I dicked with factory computers and chips.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
My car runs pretty well with out it. so far as I’ve mentioned before, it runs just the same on Setting #0. Only difference is that the CEL is off. It idles the same and everything. Idk why I’m so anxious to see some codes when I get home.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Well, I guess I just own a slow turd. The only codes I got were for the stuff that has been deleted. I’ll probably just put the chip back in since my rpm is starting to hang a little....

01yellercobra

Reaction score

Yes there is. The tuner could essentially write a very basic tune and load it up. I had to do that for my car because I don't have the stock tune anymore. And I didn't want to pay Ford to reflash it. So I put essentially a stock tune on my handheld and flashed the car.
why is it impossible to have a fairly stock tune on a chip? I thought there had to be something in the spot where the chip went no matter stock or aftermarket but its been a few years since I dicked with factory computers and chips.
More than likely the tuner used the 0 spot for his tune.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My chip barely modifies anything on mine. We lightly changed the timing. Mainly mine was for deleting the emissions. If it’s a Bama time then I bet it does run better without it. Bama tunes are crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Well, I plugged it back in and it idles correctly again and the raw gas smell went away. Meh...

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Yeah, it runs better but I’m definitely gonna have to add some mini cats. I can’t stand the smell anymore.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Lol. That’s what I keep hearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113