sct tuners in trouble

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you were batman the butler would have had your car running years ago and I would be pissed you had not sent him my way.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you were batman the butler would have had your car running years ago and I would be pissed you had not sent him my way.

I stated that I’m not saying I’m Batman. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makoto

Reaction score
It has not been proven that the exhaust from vehicles is bad for you? Is that what your saying?

Obviously not, that is a complete misrepresentation of what I said.

The followup question is "how much is too much?" because if I locked you in a garage with a car that had no cats and poor ventilation you'd die but that isn't the problem.

nor is it a problem of hundreds of millions of cars pumping out smoke into the atmosphere since companies have nailed the clean-emissions-recipe.

The real question is "does the number of people who modify their cars have any real meaningful effect on the air quality of the population of earth?".

THAT is the question which hasn't even been addressed, thus is unproven, probably because we are a tiny tiny percentage of car owners. With the advent of this instant communication age archaic regulations that impose burdens on all of us have become positively obsolete.

So here's my answer to that question "no, a car with no cats idling next door to your house is not harmful to you at all while you sleep inside".

o36

Reaction score
No tuner in the world can turn a catalytic converter off. Obviously the article was written by someone with no knowledge about the subject. I haven't used a tuner myself, but I do understand that you can use it to disable engine codes, such as when one deletes the cats. Could it be that is what they are talking about?

Can't the tuner software effectively change AFRs, and other variables such that the cat no longer functions optimally? I understand that there's a specific range in which the cats are most efficient, and these are what are used by the manufacturer to cite emissions compliance. But absolutely there's no way to "disable" a cat short of cutting it out.

This lawsuit stinks of lobbyism by the auto sector. There was some proposed legislation a little while back that would make it illegal to change any of the parameters of the ECU in a vehicle, tantamount to violating terms of use agreements that we see software companies issue.

Found it: https://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

They wanted to use DMCA copyright laws to prohibit modifications to the ECU and other computers in a vehicle. For me, if they want to restrict the ability to modify, they need to prove they can secure their software against remote attacks. It's WAY too easy to compromise modern vehicles now that most of them have LTE data links that are integrated into the CANBUS systems.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am willing to bet they mean the EGR rather then the cat and that is or was there for emissions and can be turned off but yea its not like its cutting the cat out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online