Sealed Box Or Ported?

birel21y

Reaction score
Ok, so i have a sealed box right now, with my 12" Alpine Type R, with a 760w pioneer amp. The system hits ok, but i want to feel the bass more, And i was thinking i would ge that if i went to a ported box.

Also, could i just port my existing box with a 2" hole, and a pvc pipe going down into it???

Thanks, Alex.

bany95

Reaction score
This is the spec sheets for the new Type R's (I'm not sure how old yours is), is shows the reccomended volumes for sealed and ported boxes. You'll see that a ported box is going to be roughly twice the size of the sealed.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1242D.PDF

Your best bet is of course to custom build a box (starting with the reccomended specs), there are some calculators online that will help you to design a box, if you're into that kind if thing :santa_undecided:

Using the calculators you can figure out what diameter and length the ports should be for your current box if you want to go that route.

If memory serves correct a box that is too small will raise the resonant frequency (more mid-bass), but you may also end up with something that only hits hard at one frequency.

mich_666

Reaction score
high quality ported boxes have more to them than just a hole...
certain designs work better than others.
i remember reading about it on google or something.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
you gotta make the box, and port a specific size.
Dont just cut a hole in a sealed box.

Ported boxes require more volume.

I would recomend making a custom box.

caraudioforums.com can probably help you with a box design.

98FORDMUSTANGGT

Reaction score
it depends on how you have your sub faced i had 2 alipine type r's with a sony explode 800w amp i had the subs facing up in sealed boxes and it souded good but would of sounded better if it had more power

brwillms

Reaction score
Sound quality is determined by a value known as Qtc. This is usually a number between .7 (most accurate sound quality) and 1.0 (very boomy and exaggerated bass). The smaller the value of Qtc the larger the box will be. You can find generic Thiele-Small parameters for your woofer online and use a free piece of software called WinISD to help you determine what the best type and size of enclosure to use for your woofer. You can get an idea of SPL levels that the system will be capable of in theory.

If you like bass heavy music I would recommend a Qtc of .8-.9 This will give you a box that peaks pretty hard during a tight frequency range and isn't too big.

Also, make note that the larger the box (a lower Qtc value) the lower the effective power handling capability of your woofer will be.

If you have specifics on the woofer I could probably give you a hand.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with the option of "no subs in mustangs" my .02

brwillms

Reaction score
I'm trying something interesting with the Mach 460 enclosure. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Hey, just some info for you. I have a 10" Alpine Type R in a Custom Ported Box that Me and My buddy made. It is Exactly to spec and everything, it was also fiberglassed. Anyway, ported WILL be what they call "boomy" and sealed will sound "cleaner" But there are a few things to take into consideration. Size of the woofer DOES matter. The reason I went ported was because I have a 10 inch sub. Not the best for hip-hop or Rap. Great for rock but it loses some notes because of the physical circumference. With your 12 I would suggest the sealed because it is a happier medium. Yet more problems happen tho, the deck portion that the Mach Speakers in the rear are in ALSO act as an encloser for the speakers. Remove it and any speakers placed there will loose some depth, keep it in and fitments issues of speaker boxes/ subs can occur. Just some food for thought.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Most of the "boomy" complaints of ported systems isn't the box itself, but the boosted frequency response at lower frequencies. Ported has a relatively flat response down to tuning, say in the 30hz region or wherever you decide to tune the box, and below that rolls off sharply at a rate of 24db/octave. Sealed has much higher point of resonance, in the 50-60hz region typically with most 10-15" subs, and rolls off more gradually at a rate of 12db/octave below that.

Due to cars being so small, they have cabin gain, effectively it is compression due to the cabin itself being so much smaller than the wavelength of the frequency produced by the driver. Notice how much stronger the lowend of a car is compared to a home, this is because as frequencies get lower, the compression of the small car environment boosts frequency response. the rolloff of a sealed box tends to give a flatter frequency response because the boost created by the cabin gain tends to compliment the rolloff of the sealed box, creating a relatively flat frequency response. Whereas because ported will be flat to such a lower frequency, the cabin gain will boost that creating a bolstered output in that region, which some prefer, and others call "boomy" because it has more output relative to the upper subbass and midbass region.

The easy fix: EQ down the frequencies that ported boxes are stronger at, effectively equalize the output to mimic that of a sealed box, or basically EQ the response to give the optimal response in a car regardless of the enclosure you use. No, that doesn't negate the purpose of having a ported box for a couple of reasons: A port actually doesn't perform like a leaky hole in a box, it's a tuned mass of air that acts like a solid diaphragm. When you produce frequencies around or at tuning, that tuned mass of air is actually sucking energy out of the air pressure created in the enclosure. The port basically uses the cone of the subwoofer as the fulcrum to bear the force of its own acceleration. Doing this it loads the driver, which limits the subwoofer's excursion (usually around 1/4 the excursion that the same sub in a sealed box would produce at that frequency). That reduces distortion and at the same time gives you the higher output that ported boxes are known for because both the driver and port are contributing to produce the soundwave. When you go that much further and EQ down that point, you lower excursion that much more, you also use substantially less power output to get that level of SPL (stressing amplifiers less and keeping them from clipping at high output), and also gives you more effective headroom because you are nowhere near stressing the mechanical limits of the subwoofer, meaning you can push the sub harder because you don't have to worry about it bottoming out at low frequencies. It's literally a win-win situation.

In short, I vote ported :thumb: WinISD, as mentioned by brwillms, is a very good program if you want to model up the subwoofer and see what will work. WinISD Pro alpha (they have an Pro alpha and the older, simpler beta version of the original, both are free) has much more and can actually let you compare all aspects of the enclosures, and you can see the difference you'd get between sealed and ported for your specific sub.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
My ported box and 12"s hit way lower sounds then my friends 12"s in a sealed box.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sʇǝɟ said:
My ported box and 12"s hit way lower sounds then my friends 12"s in a sealed box.

But sealed responce is faster and they sound better all around, yes not as loud. I do have a ported box as well and I like it, but when I listen to hard rock shit sometimes I wish I had sealed.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
But sealed responce is faster and they sound better all around, yes not as loud. I do have a ported box as well and I like it, but when I listen to hard rock shit sometimes I wish I had sealed.

That's really generalized though. While most comparisons you'd have the sealed box would have the better response, it's more due to a lack of quality designed/built ported boxes in the car audio realm than it is a rule. Ported boxes are more difficult to implement in a car than in a home, for example, but if they were inherently inferior you wouldn't see 90+% of home audio applications utilizing ported boxes over sealed, especially when both are a completely viable option. If sealed were superior it'd most likely be the standard because it's cheaper/easier to build plus you have the marketability of a smaller cabinet size.

The only situation where sealed boxes are audibly "faster" than ported boxes are when group delay has passed what is considered to be the threshold of human hearing, which equates to a high-ish tuning frequency in a box designed for SPL, or just a poorly designed box in general. In most other cases it's just the prominence of low end relative to the upper bass region, which can be even worse when you don't have really good midbass drivers up front, basically any midbass that can't keep up regardless of the sub used. Think of the systems people regard as sounding faster or tighter, subs like the Image Dynamics IDQs, the older JL audio subs like the original W6, W3s, really they're just putting a low Q sub in a small box with ~.8 Qtc, which choked off the low frequency response and accentuated the upper subbass region. Not really a bad thing, that area is where most of the musical bass material lies in the sense of bass guitar, kick drums, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online

No members online now.