shift kit

16 with a 97 GT

Reaction score
When I bought my car the guy said it had a shift kit and I thought it did but now that I have read some posts I don't think it does. The car will almost never chirp 2nd gear. And when I changed tuners it just shifted like a normal car untill I turned up the firmness. Do you guys think it really has one or was he just trying to make some more money. If it doesnt have one what kind should I buy and could I put it in my self or should a shop do it.

4point6GT

Reaction score
only one way to find out, rip that pretty boot off and check it out :) if it dont u should get a MGW or a PRO5.0 like me 8)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
take it too a shop and have them look at it. I have used trans-go kits and they work great

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
stangbang said:
How much work is it installing a shift kit?

its nothing hard but you do NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, if you dont you can F up that auto trans :(. I suggest letting a pro do it. I had mine done on my 98 about 2 1/2 years ago and they did it for 200 bucks.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah i didnt tackle mine myself, i let a shop do it for $150 or something like that...check out Transgo, very good shift kit

Adam

Reaction score
Transgos are the biggest POS ever..do NOT use them. Do the J-mod yourself. It will cost you about $4 for 2 new seperator plate gaskets, fluid/filter and maybe $20 for a set of drill bits. Its the best thing you can do for a 4R70W. Go to TCCOA.com and check it out under there tech section. You guys are WAY out of the loop..seriously...transgos will not be good to your trans. I would say TOTAL cost to J-mod is around $60. Neck snapping shifts at WOT, completely normal otherwise. The J is for Jerry Wroblewski, a Ford engineer who desinged the 4R70W, very cool guy.

Adam

Adam

Reaction score
Do a search on 'transgo' over at tccoa.com, you will find out. :eek:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Adam said:
Do a search on 'transgo' over at tccoa.com, you will find out. :eek:

ill have to check into this, I have had trans-go on two of my stangs and NEVER had a prob with either of them, not to mention it was recommended to me by a few trans shops in town to begin with.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't find nothing about transgo, except the article where they explain what it does, and where to buy it :dunno:

Mustang9668

Reaction score
+1 on the j-mod. I have also heard a lot of bad things about the trans go kits.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Whats the J-mod??? What the hell is so bad about the transgo kits?

97gtconv.

Reaction score
i'm about to put the level 3 holes in my plate. i'll post in a couple of weeks how it feels. having my car get it's oil changed.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fets said:
Whats the J-mod??? What the hell is so bad about the transgo kits?

Trans Go will cause excess heat and wear on the 4R70W and this is from the mouth of Jerry W....the J-Mod is the way to go.

www.tccoa.com read the trans 101 section.. all the Tbirds and Cougars came with auto's so thats the best place to find auto info for our stangs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online