Shift kits?

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Any recommendations or advice? Never installed one but used to build engines so I can figure it out. The 2 I know of are Trans-Go and B&M. Any others? Any that I should avoid or should get? Any tips? Basically anything...lol. Looks like B&M has 2 stages. Should I avoid stage 2? or possibly stage 1? I have had shift kits and manual valve bodies in previous cars but trans shops built those.

For reference: Have a 1995 GT all stock. As of now my plans are shift kit then over winter maybe 3.73s (have 3.27's now) and MAYBE a slight convertor upgrade. After all that I MAY possibly go with either GT40 heads and intake or aftermarket heads with GT40 intake but those would be down the road another year or so. And if I go that far I may toss a cam in but I don't want to go over about 300 HP. Don't want to affect driveability, reliability or any computer crap so cam may stay stock because of that.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m assuming your car has the factory aode in it. If so, go for the J-mod over any of the shift kits.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Thats something I noticed about the B&M, everything is there. Not knowing much about trannys not sure I'd trust myself to buy all the individual pieces I needed so the B&M looks good from that standpoint

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The only thing is the price 30 to 40 bucks in a box with everything including drill bits
J mod not sure

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I don’t like most of the stuff from trans go. I’ve used their kits and have never liked them. They’ve got a few valves that are decent, but for the most part I stay away from them.

The big thing with using mercon v is to help prevent converter shutter, especially on a stock converter.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i agree with that
the parts i installed require TYPE F
some fluids will not work with rubbers or seals and require a specific fluid

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Lots of "maybes" here. I wouldn't touch it, let alone put in something like a shift kit if you still want good drivability and reliability. All of those things will make the car slightly worse to drive from a comfort standpoint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online