My car handles pretty good
Through all shifts have not had any problems
And that kit has been in the car since 2000

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I had shift kits in my previous cars and yeah they aren't good for a relaxing calming drive they are still manageable. I just have never installed one myself

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
I have the TransGo in mine since the late 90s and have never regretted it. A friend of mine had a 97 GT and we put the B&M in his. It always seemed to shift a little too harsh for my tastes but it worked. The B&M fluid, (TrickShift?), however, did not as it made the transmission shudder when shifting. We wound up draining it back out and refilling the transmission with regular fluid. The TransGo allows you to modulate (to some degree) the firmness of the shift with the throttle. The installation is not too terribly difficult, IMO, if you are at all mechanically inclined. It helps to have a good, roomy, well-lit space to work in and a lift. I would have hated to do all that work on my back.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Lots of "maybes" here. I wouldn't touch it, let alone put in something like a shift kit if you still want good drivability and reliability. All of those things will make the car slightly worse to drive from a comfort standpoint.
Comfort is a relative term. Comfort is not the same from person to person. When I feel those soft mushy shifts it’s makes me cringe because you know the clutches are slipping themselves to their inevitable death. I’ve done some jmod’s and never had an issue with a shift being too harsh. Doing a jmod will not reduce any form of reliability, it will in fact, increase transmission life because the clutches are applying faster so there is less slip and less heat build up, that adds up to a happier transmission. The harshness of the shift can be tuned through how large you drill holes in the plate.

Wmac

Reaction score
^^^ Exactly. You can control the firmness of the shift via the hole size drilled, what spring ( if any) is used with the accumulators and the updated accumulators themselves.

All that is needed is the proper separator plate gaskets, drill bits and spring(s).

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Just ordered the Transgo kit. I don't think we are taking the Mustang to Rhode Island so might do the shift kit next week.
Started looking and not sure how much room we would have in the Mustang for the trip. I was gonna throw in one of the original tire/wheels for a spare then a few basic tools and oil and anti-freeze just in case. Won't leave much room for luggage so likely just take the Subaru instead. Sucks cause it would be nice driving a convertible along the coast up there

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Passively looking for heads and intake. Not planning on adding these until winter so no hurry. If I find aluminum heads for the right price I'll grab them but will likely go with 3 bars and Explorer intake. Gonna put aftermarket valve covers on too just to dress it up a little. Will have to buy an aftermarket strut tower brace to clear the intake. That might be it for this winter.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity why did you go with the trans go shift kit? The j mod was created by one of the engineers of the trans and these updates were integrated into the 4r75e. And to top it off it would’ve probably been cheaper. Not knocking your decision just curious.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Read a bunch of stuff and watched a bunch of videos and the Transgo seemed to do everything the jmod did and a little more. I have never messed with one and the Transgo seemed like there was more info on the install. I think either would have been fine for my application but I just felt more comfortable with the Transgo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online