Shift knob

92wastheyear

Reaction score
Ok....so this is kinda lame, but I bought one of those cueball type Hurst shift knobs from Amazon (had gift card) for my '96 vert w/ stock 5-speed. All the references say that it should have fit (12mm x1.75), but it doesn't. I thought maybe it was mis-packaged, so I picked up a 12mm x1.75 nut from Ace and confirmed that the stalk is not 12mm x1.75...close but no Bueno.

Any thoughts?

joemomma

Reaction score
Could be an aftermarket shifter or handle. The handle is easy enough to remove, you could just take it down to Ace and figure out what the thread pattern is.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the budget allows and you want something custom check out niftyshifters on facebook. They can put what ever you want on it but it takes a little time, 24 business days from the time of order.

OP
OP

92wastheyear

Reaction score
Could be an aftermarket shifter or handle. The handle is easy enough to remove, you could just take it down to Ace and figure out what the thread pattern is.
I was thinking of just taking the knob down there. They have a display/tester with different sizes/thread types

joemomma

Reaction score
I was thinking of just taking the knob down there. They have a display/tester with different sizes/thread types
That would work too. You could always recut the threads on the shifter handle. Been there, done that.

joemomma

Reaction score
I bought a replacement Hurst ball for the Hurst shifter the PO put in the car is it was cracked. And, either Hurst changed thread patterns at some point or the handle was not the Hurst handle, because the Hurst ball didn't fit the Hurst shifter lol. So, I ended up tapping the handle to the correct pitch for the ball.

OP
OP

92wastheyear

Reaction score
I bought a replacement Hurst ball for the Hurst shifter the PO put in the car is it was cracked. And, either Hurst changed thread patterns at some point or the handle was not the Hurst handle, because the Hurst ball didn't fit the Hurst shifter lol. So, I ended up tapping the handle to the correct pitch for the ball.
Yeah...I would have to get hold of a tap and die set to do that (something I don't have in my tool collection)

joemomma

Reaction score
I got mine at China Freight. Cheap, and worked well enough for what I needed it to do.