should i buy a new tstat?

hottwheels04

Reaction score
K ive had mycar checked and no check engine lights come on ,but latley my car has been running real hott, and the needle keeps going to ho like its overheating but drives fine, im lined up for a tune next week, i was told i should buy a new 180* degree thermastat that it will lower the car from being so hott and the needle should be fine? is this true ? should i go with a 160 or 180? :dunno: :)and where should i buy 1 from ? thanks for any help

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Im not sure man, but the same thing is sorta happening with my car. Now normally my car's needle is around the M where it says normal, but lately it will be at the m then I will look down adn all of a sudden its at the L, then it will go back to the m. Now it doesn't happen quick it takes a minute or so for the transformation and I dont pay too much attention to it im not really sure whats going on with it, but i also might buy a new t-stat. Sorry for hi-jacking.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
flush the whole system and changing to a 180 is a good idea. also make sure the cap is sealing properly too. 160 would be a little cool. it would also be a good idea to get a reliable temp gauge like an autometer

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
flush the whole system and changing to a 180 is a good idea. also make sure the cap is sealing properly too. 160 would be a little cool. it would also be a good idea to get a reliable temp gauge like an autometer

I take it that the stockers aren't too great?

313blkstang

Reaction score
I'm begining to think our Mustangs are conspiring against us!!!! Because I swear we are all having that same issue at the same time... :comando:

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
hahaha yeah, i have a problem after prob im cursed, and ofcourse all my friends with imports always say" see thats why u dont buy american cars there shit "
LOL
Thats when I say my car is a 95, 115xxx + miles and will still whup your ass=p. With the exception of some imports lol.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
yeah, its ok they just pick on me because i have a gt, if it was a cobra or had more mods they wouldnt say shit lol time for me to get this thing running good and bring on the horsepower!! lol :banana:

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
yeah, its ok they just pick on me because i have a gt, if it was a cobra or had more mods they wouldnt say shit lol time for me to get this thing running good and bring on the horsepower!! lol :banana:

Mine is really a GT also =p. 5.0 motors have so much potential with a nice set of heads

ryclef331

Reaction score
160 is too cold. The car will never get up to proper operating temp. This causes premature cylinder wall and ring wear due to the cylinder walls not expanding enough. Pick up a 180 stat and install it then have your tuner tune the car for the fans to come on earlier.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys! :) i just got the 180 tstat in the mail today!! im putting it in and off to the dyno and tune, ill post the numbers O0 its not gonna be anything impressive its a basic h/c/i stock ported heads so i kno my numbers will be real low im guessing 230-260rwhp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online