Who's got Magnaflow 15717 on a V6 New Edge?

shovel

Reaction score
I'm asking about kit 15717 specifically - I installed one on my wife's 02 V6 last month and this isn't my first time installing an exhaust system or turning wrenches in general.

Three observations and a question.
  • When installed the embossed "MAGNAFLOW" on the mufflers is upside down. I'm certain I installed it the right way because it would be impossible to go on the other way. Just odd to manufacture it with the brand name upside down even if nobody can see it once installed.
  • When the axle is extended (car's airborne? maybe across some "V" shaped gutters & ramps entering a parking lot, etc) the driveshaft contacts the passenger side pipe where it passes under. I think they could have avoided this in design.. it is not possible for me to "clock" it differently to avoid this because the muffler assembly is a single unit
  • The routing of the passenger side over-axle tube seems to only have one possible position that also keeps the muffler tip pointing straight back. Unfortunately in that position the rear swaybar is 1/4" away from the exhaust tube at stock static ride height and comes into contact with it under any suspension movement at all so driving on a paved road sounds like a fist full of pennies in a clothes dryer.

I don't really care that the brand name is upside down and I don't know how often the axle will really hang low enough in normal driving for the driveshaft to contact the tubing - but with the pipe in back hitting the sway bar it's pretty much undriveable. I could remove the sway bar but that isn't really a solution, that's not ornamental.

My question is: Has anyone here installed that specific exhaust kit and encountered and solved the problem of hitting the rear sway bar?

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I should probably take some under-car photos but I figured anyone who has actually done this already knows what I'm talking about and wouldn't need a photo.

For the moment here's a photo of two V6's - the New Edge is my wife's with the Magnaflow and the 96 is mine with a Flowmaster Force-II . One thing to point out is my 96 has a New Edge axle and the lower control arms are cheap aftermarket ones that have the sway bar bracket welded on "straight", and that positions the sway bar much lower than stock. I kinda hate that but it hasn't caused an actual problem. I have considered getting the same arms for my wife's to just lower the sway bar but I don't think that's an elegant solution and I'd prefer to solve this some other way.

1715796793813.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sn951992

Members online