Should i have went with shorty headers?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by sanitarium16, Jul 27, 2006.

1. sanitarium16

sanitarium16 New Member

I did the PI swap but i didnt change my headers because i ran out of money. Would i have seen a big improvement ? I head the stock headers flow pretty good unless your making serious power. Did i go wrong by leaving the stock ones?

2. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

no, the gain is minimal NA, you did good.
    Props for actually looking into it, most people slap on exhaust without looking into the numbers.

I put mine back on, and ran it for 3 years after I did my PI.
    they sure look like shit, but you're right, there's no realy HP gain, KB tested them.

they do pop when decelerating BC there's no collector, so I guess the main benefit of shorty's are sound.
    Got any pics of your project?

3. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Yeah i agree with D
    one of the first mods i did was shorty's way back in 96 because i was used to gaining HP with them on 5.0's....man was i dissapointed! I started seeing dyno results with 2-3rwhp gains being posted in mags etc :'( Now that i'm getting blow they will help but a mild NA car won't need them.

4. sanitarium16

sanitarium16 New Member

i dont have pics of the install :( but i am lucky i decided to change them because the cam was digging into the head!! The head was ruined so i scrapped them. The car feels a lot more responsive and the sound has changed. It is deeper and more aggressive.