Side Mirrors Faded?

teal95gt

Reaction score
I was sick and tired of my sun raped and faded side mirrors. I got home from work today and figured hey, I bet if I just use compound and a polish I could save the money of buying new mirrors. It seems like a pretty common problem with our cars as they get up there in age and I feel like that meg back to black is kinda meh and lasts like a week tops lol. following pic is a before and after should taken it before hand but I forgot so I took pic of before on drivers and after on the passenger side. I used some meg's ultra compound then hit it with some quick detailer and clay once I cleaned off the compound etc and megs plastx finished off with a good buff job. Personally I think it came out pretty solid and I never seen anyone post about something like this, I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my car's paint and exterior.

BEFORE
ksuh3QL.jpg

AFTER
Qj5CkDT.jpg

keep in mind those mirrors are 18 years old going on 19!

Mustangman9812

Reaction score
I think it looks great... my 94 has this same problem i will try this as well. Only problem I see is hopefully it will last a while, I tried before and in about a week they where back to dull faded look

Good job keep us posted on how long it lasts.

OP
OP
teal95gt

teal95gt

Reaction score
should last a long time from what it looked like, I literally took off layers of sun damaged plastic haha I should have taken before and after pics of all the pads I went through. I would think it would be very similar to correcting paint defects etc correct me if I am wrong.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Shit that looks awesome. My mirrors look exactly the same, as does the cowl wiper panel =/

OP
OP
teal95gt

teal95gt

Reaction score
I dropped my car off in the shop thursday and they still looked the same as when I did the compound and polish, I wont have it back for another few weeks so if they are still looking the same after being in a shop for weeks I would say I did a decent job haha. I shall upload pics once I get it back.

OP
OP
teal95gt

teal95gt

Reaction score
forgot to add that it may take a few times of clay baring it then compounding it and then polishing it to really get it looking like new.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Great job.
keep in mind the 94-95 mirror housings are smooth and the others are textured so results may differ.
Couple years ago I was at a car and won a door prize of Turtle Wax Ice paste wax which says it's good on paint and plastics. Sooo what the hey. I applied it to the mirrors and cowl panel and get a nice semi gloss finish. I'm pretty satisified with it on the paint too.

OP
OP
teal95gt

teal95gt

Reaction score
Great job.
keep in mind the 94-95 mirror housings are smooth and the others are textured so results may differ.
Couple years ago I was at a car and won a door prize of Turtle Wax Ice paste wax which says it's good on paint and plastics. Sooo what the hey. I applied it to the mirrors and cowl panel and get a nice semi gloss finish. I'm pretty satisified with it on the paint too.

..... dude lmfao so I got my car back from the shop as you know like after a 2 month period the mirrors still looked decent and then i hit them with some of the shit I use for tire dressings and HOLY FKN SHlT MAN hahahah they looked like mirrors and the stuff works awesome water based so it dries perfect and then I just sprayed it down with some quick detailer spray jesus!!!! you need to invest in this stuff man here is the link a little of it goes a longgggg way it's the best tire dressing I have ever used and works wonders on anything like black trim cowl panels etc and lasts so god damn long and I park my car outside! I used it on my old man's tires about a month ago still deep black with a slight gloss same as the day I applied it. http://www.autogeek.net/pb-tire-dressing-gel-128.html

OP
OP
teal95gt

teal95gt

Reaction score
so when I went down to tear parts off my car saturday for fivepointslow the Mirrors still looked perfect and it has been a long ass time since I restored them haha you guys need to do this to worn out mirrors on the 94-95 sn's!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online