Slip Yoke Rubber Ring

Boostr1

Reaction score
I'm replacing my U joints on my shaft, and noticed the rubber ring (damper I guess) on the stock slip yoke is cracked. Do I need to get a new slip yoke or is this not an issue.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you weren’t having any vibration issues, you’ll be fine. Some of the yokes have them, a lot of them do not.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Should I just remove it, I don't want to install it and later the rubber ring comes out and the metal ring slides down the shaft or damage the tail shaft housing.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Should I just remove it, I don't want to install it and later the rubber ring comes out and the metal ring slides down the shaft or damage the tail shaft housing.
Now you are asking a question that I do not know the answer to. If it was me, I’d probably remove it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Booster is that shaft ate up towards the back end it looks discolored with a groove in it

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
if you can get it
If you can't get it coat it with grease

Coat what with grease?

Booster is that shaft ate up towards the back end it looks discolored with a groove in it

Those aren't mine, I was just showing the damper on the yoke on the drive shaft at the bottom in that pic as reference of what I was talking about.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That damper is balanced on the shaft
If that rubber o ring separates it will be unbalanced and could do damage to the tail end of your transmission and the shaft
First sighn the rubber sticks out like I see it
Second you will get a wear groove in that shaft
Like I can see
It looks like it needs to be replaced

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
That damper is balanced on the shaft
If that rubber o ring separates it will be unbalanced and could do damage to the tail end of your transmission and the shaft
First sighn the rubber sticks out like I see it
Second you will get a wear groove in that shaft
Like I can see
It looks like it needs to be replaced

Just to clarify, those aren't my driveshafts, it's just a picture I pasted from the Googler to show what meant. My yoke does not have the groove worn in it, but I think the rubber maybe sticking out like that, I would have to check agan.

Anywho, If I replace it do I need to take the DS to get rebalanced? If so I'll just get a regular yoke and get the DS rebalanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online