Smell of gasoline near front of Engine...

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Hello:
The last few times I've driven the Stang, I've noticed the smell of gas at a moderate strength located around the left Front (if standing in front of the car) of the engine bay :noes: . I had a fuel pressure gauge mounted inside the bay but disconnected that thinking it was leaking. No go. My thinking is, could the smog pump, or cold air tube be emitting gas fumes? My car does run richer than factory, especially if I drive it, shut it down then restart it again. I checked all hoses to the engine and back to the the Firewall and none show any signs of leaking. Maybe a leaking intake manifold? :dunno:

Any ideas, or has anyone experienced this too?

Thanks,

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Potentially a bad fuel injector o-ring. I would inspect all of them VERY carefully.

New o-rings and pintle caps can be had at NAPA for minimal cost. Replace all of them if one is leaking.

Paul.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
If your car is running very rich, you could have an exhaust leak. and that COULD be it.

95MUZY

Reaction score
Hi
I noticed on my 95GT 5.0 a smell of petrol and it drove me nuts, but found the vacuum hoses had come adrift from the fuel vapour cannister under the left hand fender when standing at the front of the car looking into the engine bay, I fitted new hoses and now all sweet and no petrol smell. Hope it helps
Dave

OP
OP
N

NYC94GT

Reaction score
95MUZY said:
Hi
I noticed on my 95GT 5.0 a smell of petrol and it drove me nuts, but found the vacuum hoses had come adrift from the fuel vapour cannister under the left hand fender when standing at the front of the car looking into the engine bay, I fitted new hoses and now all sweet and no petrol smell. Hope it helps
Dave
Yeah?? That's basically where I smell it. Is the cannister that "can" looking item mounted between two hoses and you can see the cotton filter in it? It's just above the smog pump.... O0

OP
OP
N

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Paul said:
Potentially a bad fuel injector o-ring. I would inspect all of them VERY carefully.

New o-rings and pintle caps can be had at NAPA for minimal cost. Replace all of them if one is leaking.

Paul.
Good thought, Thanks!

95MUZY

Reaction score
The Canister is under the passenger side fender, cant see it till u remove the plastic inner gaurd and look up towards the antenna base

M

musclemustang94

If you top your car off when you fill it up you can get fuel in that vapor canister. Which would explain the gasoline smell, its only supposed to have vapors in it, not raw fuel.

OP
OP
N

NYC94GT

Reaction score
95MUZY said:
The Canister is under the passenger side fender, cant see it till u remove the plastic inner gaurd and look up towards the antenna base
Can you take a pic?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
NYC94GT said:
95MUZY said:
Can you take a pic?

It's literally inside the passenger side front fender. You have to remove the wheel and the splash guard, and you'll see it just forward of the passenger door hinges. You can't miss it - it's a big plastic black box thingy.

OP
OP
N

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Paul said:
NYC94GT said:
95MUZY said:
Can you take a pic?

It's literally inside the passenger side front fender. You have to remove the wheel and the splash guard, and you'll see it just forward of the passenger door hinges. You can't miss it - it's a big plastic black box thingy.
Ok, cool. That is where I smell it the most. I thought I was running soo rich that gas was accumulating in the cold air tube. I'll check it and I appreciate the info!

OP
OP
N

NYC94GT

Reaction score
tommybunz said:
what do you do if that is the problem? clean it or what
I guess check the vac hoses and reconnect/repair if leaking.

95MUZY

Reaction score
Most likely perished hoses or the rubber joiners for the plastic tubes :pimp2:, I dont think there is anything you can do with the canister itself. O0

Passenger

Reaction score
Here is the pic of a charcoal canister as requested.

(The black box under the Zex box)
Carpaint001.jpg

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
That a good place to remount my msd box to get it out of the heat

If you really want it out of the heat, put it under your passenger seat. It's much less work and lives a comfortable life there. That's where I put mine - works dandy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online