Smoked Tailights

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding 94-95 tail lights, someone switched mine out for 96-98. This guy offered me his smokes ones for $50 plus shipping, I've watched videos on how to remove spray time but these look like they are shiny. I can see a Ford part number, had anyone has success at removing the tint/spray?
c5a8ee0a5effb06fa4f425435ee87cff.jpg

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

trebor3170

Reaction score
90% rubbing alcohol may work, I've used it to strip paint off plastic models without damage, but it takes a long time to work, also Testors, (the model paint company) makes a product called Easy Lift Off, or ELO, for short, also made for stripping plastic models that works faster than alcohol, or you could try brake fluid, or Easy Off oven cleaner, all have been used to remove paint from models without damaging the plastic. Any of these will also require repainting the tail light, as they will remove all the paint, and, of course, test and test again first to verify that your chosen method of removal doesn't damage the light. I know these methods are safe for plastic models made of styrene or abs plastic, but the tail lights are made of acrylic.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Hair dryer for tint
Probably really fine sand paper for spray buffing out
I really don't care for tinted lights

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could buff it off to keep it smooth but it will be a little hard to get into the edges. You can try a chemical stripper but you will probably have to repaint them at a minimum but they might need some cleaning/filling/smoothing after everything is removed.

95opal

Reaction score
Wet sand starting at 600 working your way up to 2500 then buff with wheel or by hand. Do t waist time thinking about it its straight forward. Dont use any chemical stripper plastic doesnt boad qell with strippers

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
.............. plastic doesnt boad well with strippers

You’ve obviously not seen the same strippers I did back in the day. They all had plastic...........

.........wait, we might not be talking about the same thing..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe65

Reaction score
yeah we are talking tail lights not head lights....the plastic you are talking about was underneath the headlights. just saying..

joe65

Reaction score
i like those black trim horizontals. Looks good!

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
It was going to cost me too much to ship he wanted $50 then probably around $30 for shipping. I'm just hoping I can either find someone partying s car out locally or someone that wants to trade locally

trebor3170

Reaction score
If you are willing to put in the work to redo these, $80 is not a bad price. A quick Ebay search, the lowest price for oem 94-95 is 160 a pair.

trebor3170

Reaction score
Also, not mentioned, you will need to find the proper harness, or modify your existing. One of the sockets is different.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Also, not mentioned, you will need to find the proper harness, or modify your existing. One of the sockets is different.
Really? They look the same, I'm hoping I can find one in a wrecking yard or someone partying one out for way cheaper. Just hoping

trebor3170

Reaction score
I'm don't remember what the difference is, it was a long time ago that I converted my 95 to the 96+ tail lights, but I remember needing to change one socket on each side.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I'm don't remember what the difference is, it was a long time ago that I converted my 95 to the 96+ tail lights, but I remember needing to change one socket on each side.
Do u still have yours? :) Why did u convert

trebor3170

Reaction score
No, they're long gone. I never liked the horizontal lights, weren't "Mustang" enough, also I was planning to convert to sequentials, but never did, some other priority always reared its ugly head.

joe65

Reaction score
yeah well that's funny, because so many were up in arms that they changed to the horizontal tails. Really pretty cool that its a "unique" feature now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online