So you want to install your own gears...(8.8)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess something could be fabed up so the set-up would work, although Ive never seen one myself.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the 4:10s in with the Torsen diff. Gas mileage went down a bit, but whatever, I love it, what a difference gears make. The car doesn't feel like its being held back anymore.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Actually, surprisingly no, its been better since, that diff is a gift from God, 245s in the back have helped too. I've been working on launching w/o breaking the rear-end loose. Haven't had the chance to mash the gas pedal more than half way yet though. Too many cops and shitty roads. Can't wait to really open her up.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you gotten a shift-kit yet? If not I highly recomend it, the TransGo kit has done great for me. I used it in my 96, 91 and my 98 GT's and it did wonderfull in every car. Its cool to bark your tires in the over drive position at half throttle on the one two shift ;)

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Actually, I'm saving up for one of those chip, electro, tweecer, fancy do da things, so that I can adjust the shift points, firmness of the shifts, and all that jazz. Right now the 1-2 shift is ok, but it seems to hunt for 3 for a second or so. I tend to stay in od a lot now.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94gtstang50 said:
Actually, I'm saving up for one of those chip, electro, tweecer, fancy do da things, so that I can adjust the shift points, firmness of the shifts, and all that jazz. Right now the 1-2 shift is ok, but it seems to hunt for 3 for a second or so. I tend to stay in od a lot now.

ahh, fancy pants huh? ;D Tuning the shifts thru the electronics is a good way to go, then you can adjust everything including the line pressure.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to go with the tweecer, what are you guys running?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not got crap yet,............but when I do get mine done it will be with Sniper Software (a product associated with SCT)

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Had some fun today with the new gears. Did a little practice on the highway with launching. For some strange reason there were no cars out so I was able to stop in the middle of the highway and punch it from a stand still. Didn't put it to the floor, 3/4 of the way down, but couldn't tell if I was smoking the rears or if it was accelerating that fast, either way it was sick.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94gtstang50 said:
Had some fun today with the new gears. Did a little practice on the highway with launching. For some strange reason there were no cars out so I was able to stop in the middle of the highway and punch it from a stand still. Didn't put it to the floor, 3/4 of the way down, but couldn't tell if I was smoking the rears or if it was accelerating that fast, either way it was sick.

gears will make a nice change in both acceleration and tire spin 8)

94gtstang50

Reaction score
If I left the stock diff in I'm sure it would boil them like there's no tomorrow.

Nater

Reaction score
I put my 3.55s in myself. The only issue I had was getting a s-type clip out of the middle of the differential. Because without taking that out I had no way to get the c-clips out.

19Cobra94

A friend and I changed gears on my old 91 LX twice. Car had less than 600 miles on her when we put in 3.73's, then I went for the 4.10's after a couple of years. Both times the job was really very smooth, with the low mileage on the car no shimming was required except what the factory had in there. In my opinion the 3.73's were the better of the two gears since the car was basically stock except for a few bolt-on's, she ran about the same qtr mile times too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online