[SOLVED]Help! Engine won't rev or idle without cutting out.

chris86uk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Right, all this has just happened so best to get it across while it's fresh in my mind.

Car was last run two weeks ago and was running perfectly having just changed all the filters/plugs myself. Went outside this afternoon to give it a run;

1) Turned key, fuel pump sounded a little odd.
2) Started engine, fired up fine, revved up to 2k as usual, then revs fell to normal idle.
3) VERY slight misfire, revved slightly, seemed ok.
4) Moved forward a few feet, started to splutter.
5) Blipped throttle to try to clear splutter.
6) Cut out.

So, I started up again, fired up, 1k idle, then splutter, 500rpm idle, 300rpm, cut out.

I left it for a few minutes while thinking :sad: and :(:cry: before trying again. This time it fired up and idled normally for a few seconds before I tried to move it, but as I touched the throttle it just died again. Eventually managed to get it back a few feet onto my driveway by starting and planting my foot as soon as it fired but then just spluttered out again.

Any advice would be VERY greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Chris

99GreenStang

Reaction score
If it didnt ever do this before you changed plugs I say check your spark plug wires did you take them off one at a time ? make sure they are in correct firing order and if they are possibly a faulty plug is at cause just because their new doesnt mean they arent defective .. if all is good there if you say your fuel pump sounded a little odd I would test your pump to make sure its producing sufficient fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge . Hope this helps good luck!

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
I agree check the plugs. If you didn't drop one while taking it out of the package and bend the top. Just go back and check your work real quick to see if you flubbed something up. Firing order or anything. cant tell you how many times i'v forgotten something small or just had an off day.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd look into the fuel pump. It sounds like your car is chocking out and not receiving any at times.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
I'll check the plug wires tomorrow, I'm sure it's not that though, as I said, it was running great after I'd serviced it.

As for the fuel pump, how do I go about checking it? I can hear it running for a few seconds after the engine cuts out, so it seems to be working in that sense.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll check the plug wires tomorrow, I'm sure it's not that though, as I said, it was running great after I'd serviced it.
As for the fuel pump, how do I go about checking it? I can hear it running for a few seconds after the engine cuts out, so it seems to be working in that sense.

You can get a fuel pressure gauge and test it. A basic pressure gauge is like $15 at harbor freight.
You will need to hook it up to the shradder valve at the end of the fuel rail. You can also look into the fuel pressure regulator.

You should hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the car on. However, when the engine cuts outs the fuel pump shouldn't be making any noise I believe.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Ah right, well I hear it prime before I start it (that's when I meant it sounded a bit odd), but then when it cuts out, I can still hear it making the same sound.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
Ah right, well I hear it prime before I start it (that's when I meant it sounded a bit odd), but then when it cuts out, I can still hear it making the same sound.

It can still prime bro and fire off, thats just a burst of the pump. if your timing advances and you're bringing more air in, and your fuel pump can't supply the fuel you need then you're going to die/choak.

Throw a focus pump in and be done with it.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
A Focus fuel pump will fit? Any particular year/engine?

Checked the plugs and plug wires, all seem fine. I also checked the sensors on the air inlet pipe that I disconnected when i changed the air filter and they all look fine too, properly pushed onto their connections and no broken cables.

Cleaned out the IAC valve too, but no better. Just runs for about 10 seconds but spultters out pretty quickly after the revs fall to 1k for idle.

Any other suggestions? I'm gonna change the fuel filter tomorrow as it looks pretty old.

Oh and sorry, I missed the question above, it's a '96 4.6. Thanks everyone for your replies.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the IAV out yesterday. Just tried using a fault code reader, but no codes on the ECU.

Tried starting, fired up, 2k revs sounded fine. Ran for 4/5 seconds and then just died.

Any other ideas?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds fuel related.
What is the pressure with the vacuum off the regulator. Should be 40ish PSI

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
I haven't been able to check the fuel pressure yet, need to get hold of a gauge.

Apologies for my ignorance if this means nothing but when I changed the fuel filter, there seemed a VERY healthy amount of pressure in the system. Although I'm aware that's far from an accurate way of checking!

Wherabouts is the regulator? Do you think there's a reasonable chance it's to blame?

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Quick update, changed both coil packs (as I had spares) but no change.

Checked fuses as a matter of course, all ok.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
I read a post on www.mocgb.co.uk where someone had similar trouble to me.

Following their advice I put 2 gallons of fuel in the tank and jump started. Runs perfectly again now. Unfortunately I can't be exactly sure which cured the problem but my fuel gauge was telling me there was just under 1/4 tank of fuel in and my battery charger said the battery was fully charged.

I think it's more likely that I have an over-reading fuel level sender as the car would start initially, but then just die after 3 or 4 seconds. But equally it is pretty strange that I had to jump start last night, particularly when I've started it 3 times since and the battery hasn't been removed and charged up. I've never known a car react like that to a flat battery.

Anyway, just wanted to update the thread with the resolution incase others have similar issues in the future.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Chris

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sooo you were out of gas? lol.
Glad your back up and running. I don't trust my fuel gauge either..
I can be at 1/2 on the gauge and 200 miles on the odo, but that last 50 miles, the guage will drop like a stone.
I know how many miles I have traveled on a full tank and I don't go to far above that.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
^ Haha yep, certainly seems like it! :eek:

I'll be following your lead and not trusting the gauge in future, like I said, it was showing 1/4 tank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online