someone explain what detonate is?

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well i hear all this talk about detonation and pinging and was wondering how would someone tell? I dont believe ive ever experienced this but if i do i want to spot it asap! also on my spark plugs i noticed they are black on the ends and i just replaced my pcv valve which was probably stock from prev owner...car has 55,000miles now

ripper

Reaction score
This is how it was excplained to me: If your timing is off. or your cylinders are getting too hot the chamber fires before your piston comes to top. This is why blower cars need more fuel to cool the cylinders. My car was pinging and because of the exhaust and blower i couldnt even hear it. It does it close to or at wide open throttle. On a stock mufflered car it is easy to hear it. But with aftermarket exhaust and blowers it takes a trained ear to hear it. Guys usual hear it when its too late LOL. Then you hear it well :-\ It will wreak havok on your rods and crank. Sometimes it will even blow a hole thru the top of your piston. Out of all things i think it is the deadliest thing that could happen to your motor.

Im sure ryclef will chime in and detail this but thats the general idea of ping.

OP
OP
S

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well crap i got shorties,o/r h and flows gonna be hard to hear when ive never hear it b4

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
im pretty sure you will notice detonation if you only have an exhaust...its a wee bit loud. :noes:

ripper

Reaction score
Nah actually its not that loud. It sounds like a cross between a rattle and a tap. Its hard to describe. Ive heard it so now i know what to listen for.

OP
OP
S

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well what sucks about my area is i have nobody with a dyno or anyway to give me a tune! so would a autometer air/fuel ratio gauge be a good one to have and what other one might be a good one also,cuz i want to get the pod where my clock is

Nacho

Reaction score
It's always good to have control of you a/f ratio. But with a mainly stock car, you could spend those $300+ on something else.

ryclef331

Reaction score
scootin95gts said:
well what sucks about my area is i have nobody with a dyno or anyway to give me a tune! so would a autometer air/fuel ratio gauge be a good one to have and what other one might be a good one also,cuz i want to get the pod where my clock is

The autometer narrowband o2 sensor is garbage....its a lightshow that will annoy the shit out of you in no time. You want to know NO questions asked all the time what your A/F ratio is...i.e. how SAFE you engine is....you need a wideband PERIOD.

ryclef331

Reaction score
AEM, FJO, Altronics, LM1, All of these are great wideband manufacturers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online