Sony Xplod Subs

ripper

Reaction score
I know nothing about subs or headunits. I went to a shop and told them i wanted a good system for my car. My only stipulation was i wanted a radio that was easy to use. lol. They sold me a sony premium ( i guess thats the head unit) an earthquake 800w amp and earthquake 10in subs. It doesnt sound as good as i thought. The subs are in a box. They face the rear seats, If i pull the seats down there they are. I paid almost 1k for the whole thing installed.

Did i get robbed?

TripleBlack

Reaction score
i think you got robbed a grand i could have built you a badass set-up and you would not have been dissapointed.....labor probly killed you there

White_5.0_GT

Reaction score
dude, don't get the sony xplod's...they suck...i have mtx amp and sub in my car and it hits better than some two sub combo's...i just have a 300 watt mtx amp and a 10" mtx audio sub thunder 7500 inside a sub zero box...it hits really good...

916_5.0

Reaction score
Sony explodes arent that bad dude there is stuff that is worse they are fairly cheap thoug hif you dont havea lot of cash to spend but will distort pretty bad if you run a lot of watts. I would recommend a rockford or JL both those companies make really good quality amps, also check out soundstream and Hifonics they make really nice stuff to Hifonics is like major power and sound they do alot of hi end competion stuff.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
no offense to anyone here..but trust me...ive done a shit load of research on car subs and stereo set ups...and sony is horrible...Go to crutchfield.com and look at subs on there look at the reviews and you should be able to find something nice

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Sony Xplods are cheap. That doesn't mean they're valuable, however. There is a lot of stuff out there that is better for the money. If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend getting one good sub designed for a ported box, opposed to having two lesser subs. It'll sound much better, last longer, and give more output. And should you wish to in the future you can double up eventually if you plan it out.

How much are you wanting to spend?

JJ96Stang

Reaction score
Bought some for my wifes jeep cherokee I have tried and tried on tuning them but they just cannot handle deep bass. They work really good on rock music so i went and brought a sealed box and they seem to work just ok for deep base now but definatly better with rock music

drifts14x

Reaction score
QIKGTS said:
Believe me when I say it's all about the enclosure and a subsonic filter. Bottom line is the box is the factor that will determine, the most, how a sub sounds and how long it will live. Sure, excursion, power handling, sensitivity and of course the amplification and equalization being used all play a part, but the enclosure is the one factor that can allow a great, expensive, bullitproof sub to sound like crap and blow up, and an average one sound great and handle good power for a long time.

As for the Sony's, Xplod subs really work well in properly designed ported enclosures when coupled with a subsonic filter. They handle a fair amount of power, have decent excursion and are put together pretty well (bumped and vented backplates, quailty materials for the spider and voicecoil, etc.). I put P5 subs on par with the entry level JL stuff but for a tad bit cheaper.

Don't go cheap on box building. Get a real enclosure designed by a real installer with good enclosure modeling software. Personally I like the sound of ported enclosures and almost always recommend them. That's where a subsonic filter is so important. If a shop says they don't use a box building software program or they don't know what a subsonic filter is, RUN. Tell him what kind of music you listen to and get a real custom built enclosure for whatever woofer you buy...

Dude, I totally agree, I had a $25 Dual 12" sub running 300w RMS in my old Blazer, and my sub could seriously punch out more than most 800-1000w setups because I hand-built my box to be 1.5 cubic feet and it was just perfect. You can make almost any sub sound good, just make sure the box is the right size and whatnot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online