Sound damping under the rear seat?

03MACH

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to add some sound damping (or sound cancelling material, whichever) under the rear seat to help out with exhaust noise and road noise. What should I use for best results, and how thick of material can I fit under the seat? Also, will adding and material into the trunk help?

Werecow

Reaction score
Check my Cherry Bomb thread, I put some stuff on my fuel tank that I'm using for insulation between the tank and the body. It's stick-on insulation that's a lil over 3 mil thick for about $20 a roll from Lowe's. One of the uses it has listed on their website is for floorboards in cars... A lot cheaper that boom mat or anything else I've found!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check my Cherry Bomb thread, I put some stuff on my fuel tank that I'm using for insulation between the tank and the body. It's stick-on insulation that's a lil over 3 mil thick for about $20 a roll from Lowe's. One of the uses it has listed on their website is for floorboards in cars... A lot cheaper that boom mat or anything else I've found!!
This would be good in the situation you used it to reduce vibrations between the tank and the floor but its not going to keep any exhaust noise out. There are a number of brands out now, I personally do not use anything but second skin damplifier pro after having my hands on almost all of them. If your really serious also check out their luxury liner pro. I replaced my carpet and used that instead of the jute crap they stock carpet uses and it helped

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you do don’t get shit from Lowe’s or any other hardware store. Stuff made for the outside of your house is not designed to be safely used in a car. It puts off harmful gases.

Dynamat or SecondSkin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyone has a preference as to what they wanna use, but it was here that I first discovered this stuff and why I went to Lowe's to find something to use.. What Joe's holding is the same stuff I'm talking about.....

https://watch.motortrend.com/tv-shows/garage-squad/videos/poor-man-sound-deadening

You could listen to motortrend which I find to be a horrible source for shit like that.

Or you can listen to the 2 guys on this site who have more years of high end car audio installation between the two of them then everyone else on this site combined.

Your choice!!! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think there is a big confusion between sound damping and insulation. Sound damping adds weight to the panel which lowers its resonance and prevents vibrations as well as prevents noise from going through it. The better stuff(second skin for example) is a rubber compound with foil on it, cheaper crap like peel and seal is asphalt but they add weight to the panel you stick them on as well as add another barrier to go through. The insulation that you show will stick to it and might change it but there is no way that the fiberglass mat with an adhesive will reduce as much noise from going through, or keep the panel from vibrating like a real sound damper will. It might help, it might be cheaper but there the real thing is still better.

OP
OP

03MACH

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Noico products? They're a bit more affordable than the other brands, and they seem to get good reviews.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is actually one that is a little more recent and I have not had my hands on it yet. I have heard of a lot of a few people using it and I at least have not heard any horror stories about it like I have peel and seal but I am hesitant with the price. It is just a tad too cheap to the point it makes me worry about the long term reliability. Old/bad sound damping can be a complete nightmare if it starts to melt(it happens) or just wear out/fall off. I was impressed that the nearly 15 yr old dynamat extreme that is in my doors is holding up as well as it has and where as the 15 yr old regular dynamat I had in my truck had either fallen off or was just in the way now. So I guess I would say it depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and how serious you are about sound damping.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I personally put down sound deadening material from Amazon. It's the peel and stick kind. I actually have it laid on the entire car.

Clean and prep the surface and lay this stuff down with a roller. It works great and makes your car as a whole sound less... tinny.

Supercotufa

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Noico products? They're a bit more affordable than the other brands, and they seem to get good reviews.
I just recently had to redo the interior of my 98 GT, thanks to a community of mice that decided to make my car their den during the 2 years I was overseas.
I decided to use the Noico peel-stick-roll material before putting the new carpet in. I just now made the car road worthy, and I can truly feel the difference: no road noises, and the vibration from the drivetrain was effectively eliminated. It feels like a more high end finish car now.
I covered all the floorboard, and the areas not covered by the factory asphalt cheap crap behind the rear seat and into the trunk.
So far it was one of the best improvements to the interior that I made, including installing electrical activated lumbar support on both seats.

Supercotufa

Reaction score
So is that the 2mm stuff they sell?
I used the 80 mil application with aluminum foil and adhesive/mastic on the bottom. I covered all the floorboard and every part of the transmission and driveshaft column, as well as the seat support raised sheet metal (opening holes for the drain passages in these). The important thing is to make sure the sheets are properly rolled until all the square marks are mostly erased. You will need the little roller tool for this.

OP
OP

03MACH

Reaction score
So, I have a follow-up question:
I used some rubberized undercoating in my trunk some time ago. It appears to have adhered properly. What sort of material should I use in my trunk? Can I apply the asphalt-type stuff (or dynamat or whatever) directly to the undercoat, or should I skip that and just use the foam type stuff?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
dynamat is not ashpalt and you do not want asphalt. Sound damping is up to you if you want it. Its not needed, adds weight but it does make things quieter.

OP
OP

03MACH

Reaction score
dynamat is not ashpalt and you do not want asphalt. Sound damping is up to you if you want it. Its not needed, adds weight but it does make things quieter.

I was thinking of the butyl stuff, not asphalt (brain fart there, lol). Can I adhere to the butyl stuff to the rubberized sound undercoating I already have in my trunk?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online