Source for Ford-branded 99-04 Keys

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Do you guys have any reliable sources for Ford-labeled Keys? I see some on Ebay/Amazon but my concern is that they are all counterfeit.

I only have 1 key for my car. I have Forscan and there is a PATS key programming procedure, but I want to get my hands on two good FORD keys before I can do this.

I keep reading Strattec is the go-to brand for keys now? ANy thoughts?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Just me
But would just go to a dealership

A while back some of the places like lmr cj AM used to
Not sure any more

ctandc

Reaction score
Brace yourself for the price of keys at the dealership - if they even have them - which I doubt the do. They normally defer anything over 10 years old to a local locksmith - that was Ford Corporate policy a couple years anyway. Go to a local ACE / Pleasants or locally owned hardware store and get a couple of keys if you are worried about ordering online.

The transponder keys these Mustangs use are REALLY simple.

Get them cut at local place, then give the PATS procedure a go. You'll have LESS in it than what a dealership or locksmith would charge you go ONE key.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I see listings on ebay for Ford OE keys for $40. The problem is i'm not sure i trust them as really being OE. I'm trying to find key part numbers/ID numbers so i can do a little google searching and see if i can find any non-dealer sources.

For example.
Ebay link to key

I guess even if they are not OE, it doesn't matter as that's what i'm using now anyway. I just prefer a Ford-branded key.

I'm not worried about the programming aspect of it. I've used Forscan for similar things on other Fords. I'm comfortable with it enough to try it. Really my only hangup is a quality key. I need two to complete the programming. I know the one I have works so i need ot make sure i have another good one on hand.

ctandc

Reaction score
Heck I'm surprised they have any out there. I don't know how you'd check honestly - the keys were never really made by Ford anyway, they were made by some 3rd party who stamped Ford on them. Sorry - I have no clue how you'd tell.

Can you get a Ford part #? I looked at your posts - you have a '00 right? I know there was a chance in '98 or so - at least in how you could program keys. Before that you could do it without the dealer / FORSCAN etc - you could do it in the car if you had a working 'master' key.

I just looked up the replacement key part #

H72-PT​

Searched Ebay then checked 'Ford' as the brand

Two examples

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
the keys were never really made by Ford anyway, they were made by some 3rd party who stamped Ford on them. Sorry - I have no clue how you'd tell.

Oh i'm sure you are right.

However I think you got me on the right trail

The key you linked is a Strattec and from what i can see from the above link, they are a licensed producer. The part numbers match up. So, i just likely need to buy 2 of the keys you listed and give this a shot.

Edit: 2 on the way

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
These will definitely do. Exactly what I was looking for. Into it for $40 for these two keys

Now to find somewhere to cut them

IMG_6324.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Success!!

That was VERY easy.

COst me $6 to get the keys cut. Went to a local locksmith as HD and big chain stores wouldn't touch this type of key for some reason. The locksmith did it, but asked me a lot of questions on how i planned to program these myself and even had a few comments about "Regular folks shouldn't be able to get this type of program". Whatever.

Got home, loaded up ForScan and ran through the PATS programming procedure. Very easy, and was able to erase the existing keys (i only had 1, and 1 was missing) and program 3 new keys.

Total cost for the two new keys was $40 for the 2 blanks and $6 to cut them.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The last two new edges I had only had one key. My next one will probably be the same way so I’ll keep this in mind. Did you pick up new fobs too? I bought a couple off of an eBay seller who sells used ones in good shape for less than 10 bucks per fob with good results.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I did pick up new fobs separately. Those were easy to program as well. I just got those off Amazon. I figure if they fail, I can still open the door/trunk with key.

But I have 3 sets of working keys/fobs now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online