Spark plugs

Pallgor

Reaction score
My ‘96 gt has a 4.6 with 95,000 on it and I’d like to put new plugs in it. I’m looking for recommendations
Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If there has been no mods to the car there is no reason to go with anything other than the stock replacemment. whatever you go with, be sure that when you take the first plug out that you compare it to the ones you purchased to be sure they look the same. One time on a trip to autozone I didn't notice the guy behind the counter ignored the fact I told him I have aftermarket aluminum heads and the plugs I needed plugs for it, and looked up the stock replacement grabbed them and acted like he did what I told him. I didnt double check and then I struggled with plugs fouling out for 6 months before I finally once again looked up what was recommended for trickflow heads and went and got them. When I compared the plugs I realized that the stock plugs are shorter/less threads on them so it was not completely in the cylinder being not long enough.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Relatively stock car = stock sparkplugs

ttocs is right, double check the new plugs to the plugs coming out. Make sure they are the same.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and don't go for the fancy-dancy triple electrode platinum/diamond plate most expensive. Just get the standard replacement, that is what it was designed to work with.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Relatively stock car = stock sparkplugs

ttocs is right, double check the new plugs to the plugs coming out. Make sure they are the same.
I understand the intention, but the accuracy may be affected by incorrect spark plugs already in the engine. In my experience, look up the appropriate spark plug and gap based on your setup. The cylinder's head manufacturers will also make recommendations based on your setup.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree you should look up the proper plug and use it, but I still support comparing them. It might show why it was running bad like in my case because of a stupid sales dude I didn't double check when getting a few things at once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online