Speaker drone / buzz sound.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure many have expirienced this problem at one point or another. I have a few aftermanrket stereo "add-on's" and I get this annoying buzzing noise coming from my speakers. The noise gets much worse when I turn the Sirius on. There has to be some solution to this problem!! It may be something simple?? I don't know, any suggestions or comments... :dunno:

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Well the most common problem is from running rca's and power wire on the same side going back to a sub. If you're still running factory amps with certain "add ons" it will cause interferance depending on how close it is. Kinda need more info on what you have,and how you're running it to give you a better idea.

....sidenote....a bad ground in a aftermarket ignition system will create the same noise.

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Setup is as follows: Panasonic head-unit runs to a JL amp and Solo-Baric Sub. The amp and sub are mounted where my rear seat used to be. The power and ground for the amp run into the trunk to the battery (ground has separate connection to the frame). The RCA's for the amp from the head-unit run down the pass side and to the amp. It's possible the power wire for the amp and the RCA's to be close to each other. The Sirius is mounted above the radio and the RCA's run from that to the back of the radio below it. That is why I don't understand why it gets louder when the satellite is on. I figured there be less a chance with it happening with that on.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Steve-Oh said:
Setup is as follows: Panasonic head-unit runs to a JL amp and Solo-Baric Sub. The amp and sub are mounted where my rear seat used to be. The power and ground for the amp run into the trunk to the battery (ground has separate connection to the frame). The RCA's for the amp from the head-unit run down the pass side and to the amp. It's possible the power wire for the amp and the RCA's to be close to each other. The Sirius is mounted above the radio and the RCA's run from that to the back of the radio below it. That is why I don't understand why it gets louder when the satellite is on. I figured there be less a chance with it happening with that on.
Panasonics are known to be a little noisy,but it's typically a hiss. Does the buzzing follow engine rpm? Does it do it with the engine off? Since your battery is in the back,I wouldn't worry about the rca's,unless you have some excess length coiled up(can cause noise) near the power lead. Double check the Sirus' rca's to make sure they're pressed in all the way,along with the obvious correct right and left inputs. Sometimes they can also be accidently disturbed when installing the H/U. It may be louder or more noticable when the Sirus is on because you're going through a AUX input that typically takes low level signal......and some SSR's have adjustable gain controls,if yours does,try turning it down a little to see if that helps.Have you used a voltimeter on your grounds yet? It still sounds like a ground loop to me,and I suspect the the amp ground in the trunk isn't cutting it. I would run a length of temp wire up to the front, and tap into one on the firewall to see if it's your problem......it would only take a second to rule it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online