SpeedCal

monkeydude3

Reaction score
So i'm piecing together the rear end setup for our 94 GT. Got a 5 speed.

I've read up on what to do for the speedometer, some places tell me I need a gear for the speed sensor, some places I have read that a speedcal will work on this year T5 equipped mustang. Which is correct? And where do you reccomend I buy it? Are there any good or bad brands?

Thanks!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
speedcal will work or you could swap the gear. speedcal will be more accurate but is more expensive, plastic gear is cheaper but some have problems chewing them up (white gear used for 3.73+) and not as accurate.

The car already had gears when i got it (4.10's i believe) and the speedo is off. i didnt think it was too bad but one night a buddy was driving it (i was HAMMERED in the passenger seat with a few more drunks in the back lol)and got pulled over on the interstate. Cop said he was going 90-95 and wasnt catching us, buddy said he was cruising @ 80. :dunno: The cop never zapped us and just said not to be doing that shit luckily. I plan on getting a speedcal but i still have to get to the gear to see what it is for sure:mad:

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
okay so I can use a speedcal... as with everythingon this car, even if it's a few more bucks I wanna do it the best way I can.

Thanks!

however where would the best place to get one be? Is it difficult to setup?

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
I bought mine from dallas mustang and never could get it to work. Made several calls to them and they were very helpful but it just never worked in my case. They offered to check it out if I shipped it too them but I never got around to it. Long story short I would go with dallas because they are real easy to deal with and very helpful in regards to helping you get it dialed in. Im out money because of my own laziness.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Sweet. Well with my next paycheck I'm gonna order up the trak lock rebuild kit, and the master install kit for the rear axle.

Probably around then I'll order up a speedcal too. Then once all the parts are sitting in my garage it's a matter of planning the install.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/products.php?product=9910ER

Would this be what I need to order? I'm not quite clear on what year it says that fits.

Also, I read up on these and supposedly they come with a line of "0 1" switches you have to flip depending on the ratio swap you are doing. But on DM website it says they have to calibrate it.

Do I tell them what tires we have and transmission and gear and they set it up for me?

Thanks!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
here are the instructions http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/speedcal.inst.php

the line of switches is what sets calibrates it. on dallas's site they have the speedcal calculator. you take the stock gear,speedo,tire sizes and the new sizes and it tells you how to set the switches.

get in touch with dallas or someone who is already running one to make sure its right but i am fairly sure thats it

ryclef331

Reaction score
Speed cal is expsensive. Gear is cheap but they CAN strip out....I just run a stocker in mine and pay attention to the ROAD not the dash.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I don't think $90-100 is that bad... See, it's a family car, so this car will be driven by more than me. And lets just say my brother in law who owns it isn't the car savvy guy he used to be. So I want it set up to operate as close to as it's supposed to for everyone else's sake as possible.

I will give DM a call sometime this week. I get paid friday so around then I'll be placing the order.

The tough part about this will be putting it all in... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks guys!

ryclef331

Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
I don't think $90-100 is that bad... See, it's a family car, so this car will be driven by more than me. And lets just say my brother in law who owns it isn't the car savvy guy he used to be. So I want it set up to operate as close to as it's supposed to for everyone else's sake as possible.

I will give DM a call sometime this week. I get paid friday so around then I'll be placing the order.

The tough part about this will be putting it all in... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks guys!

Makes sense....Noone drives mine except me.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
I bought one cause im anal about that small stuff. Granted my GPS tells me how fast im going, but hey. It is an easy install and it took me like 30 mins from start to finish. They harder part is getting someone, or something to accurately gauge your speed. My friend and I drove next to each other and gauge it. Then I also used my GPS unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online