Speedometer cable question

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a clip or something that holds the speedometer cable in the transmission (T5)?

joemomma

Reaction score
Best I remember there's a clip. It's been a minute since I replaced my gear.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And now the next logical question: what am I looking for?
Once I get the car jacked up and supported and I locate the speedometer cable going into the T5 transmission… then what??
I just revisited LMR’s Speedo and drive gear calculator. According to it, with my stock T5 transmission I would need a 8 tooth drive gear and a 23 tooth speedometer gear given my 3.55 gears and 315/35x17 rear tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, found and removed the drive gear. It’s the dark red one with clip, which is wrong for my car. I need the white 21-tooth. Assuming I have the stock 8-tooth driven gear in the tail shaft.
Ordered that and should be here Thursday. Fingers crossed it all goes well and my non-functioning gauges will work!

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
You need a "white" 23 tooth driven gear, not 21 tooth. All T-5's from 90 to 95 and all T-45's from 96 to 98 have an 8 tooth drive gear that is green in color. Shine a light into the trans where you removed the vss and you can verify what gear is there. 7 tooth is yellow, 6 tooth is black.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, found and removed the drive gear. It’s the dark red one with clip, which is wrong for my car. I need the white 21-tooth. Assuming I have the stock 8-tooth driven gear in the tail shaft.
Ordered that and should be here Thursday. Fingers crossed it all goes well and my non-functioning gauges will work!
You need a "white" 23 tooth driven gear, not 21 tooth. All T-5's from 90 to 95 and all T-45's from 96 to 98 have an 8 tooth drive gear that is green in color. Shine a light into the trans where you removed the vss and you can verify what gear is there. 7 tooth is yellow, 6 tooth is black.
Is that with stock rear gears or mine,which is 3.55?

Wmac

Reaction score
23 tooth driven is correct for 8 tooth drive and 3.55 rear gears.

Didn't we cover this some time last year?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Typo. I did order the 23-tooth. Just wanted to confirm and get some reassurance about the proper drive gear I need.
Thanks (again), everyone!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
23 tooth driven is correct for 8 tooth drive and 3.55 rear gears.

Didn't we cover this some time last year?
So what if we did? Remember, you’re not obligated to respond, though I always welcome constructive feedback.
Or have I mentioned that before, too?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So now I’m wondering this: there is the dark red (maroon?) speedo gear with clip on the trans now. Wouldn’t it render some sort of mph, even though it’d be way off?

joemomma

Reaction score
Not if the teeth are so worn it won't pick up at all. When I put my new one on, it lasted about two weeks before it started having issues again. Now, it doesn't register anything 99% of the time.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not if the teeth are so worn it won't pick up at all. When I put my new one on, it lasted about two weeks before it started having issues again. Now, it doesn't register anything 99% of the time.
My maroon one doesn’t register anything, ever. Anxious for Thursday to get here so I can pop in the new 23-tooth gear.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got the 23-tooth drive gear. Installed it. Speedometer and odometer STILL don’t work!

I guess I’ll look to the speedometer cable next. Process of elimination.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is the (next)replacement part I may or may not need the speedo cable itself? Or ??? I’m seeing speedometer cables online anywhere from $10 to over $100. But I don’t know which one or even if that is what I need altogether. I don’t remember what things look like on the back of the gauge cluster :-(

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It could be the cluster itself.
Had the whole unit out and sent to an electrical engineer in San Jose that was recommended to my by members on this Forum. It was completely gone through and sent back in working order.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Is the (next)replacement part I may or may not need the speedo cable itself? Or ??? I’m seeing speedometer cables online anywhere from $10 to over $100. But I don’t know which one or even if that is what I need altogether. I don’t remember what things look like on the back of the gauge cluster :-(
You do not have a speedometer cable. It’ll just be the two wires off the speed sensor.

How handy are you with a multimeter?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You do not have a speedometer cable. It’ll just be the two wires off the speed sensor.

How handy are you with a multimeter?
Pretty new to it, but I take instruction well!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty new to it, but I take instruction well!
I didn’t think that I have a speedometer cable because the only things coming off the back side of the gauge cluster are the 2 big “plug-ins”(whatever they’re called!)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So it can be a little tricky, but if we get the pin out for your gauge cluster, you can ohm the wire from the cluster down to speed sensor connector and make sure the wire is good. We would have to find the schematic though.

Also, you can pull the sensor out and hook a drill up to the end of the speed sensor. Turn the key on and spin the sensor to see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online