Springs

Magic

Reaction score
So Im in the middle of upgrading the suspension on my 95, and I have a question about rear springs....

I will be using the eibach coil overs up front and the eibach shock out back...since the springs up front arent a progressive spring (to my knowledge), what spring can I use in the rear to match? Prefer a company that sells springs individually or in pairs...I dont want to dish out for a set of 4 just to use 2....

Im sure I shouldnt mix and match linear and progressive rate springs F/R.....???

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The rear spring in stock location is only 50% effective by the time you get down to wheel rate, so if you start with something not very progressive in the first place, like any H&R spring spring Super Sport and up or Steeda competition spring, you will end up with almost linear rear spring rate at the wheel. You biggest concern right now should not be spring progression but spring rate. Do you know what spring rate the coilover is? You should base your decision on what goes in the back mostly from that.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
If that's a coilover rate, that's gonna be like running a 720 pound spring in stock location. This leaves you with a few springs to choose from. You could try to replicate either H&R Race or H&R Super Sport spring setup. I'd try to find H&R Super Sport, because it's going to match your coilover rate closer to the kit (H&R Super Sport front is 700-760), and the car will sit lower too.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
If that's a coilover rate, that's gonna be like running a 720 pound spring in stock location. This leaves you with a few springs to choose from. You could try to replicate either H&R Race or H&R Super Sport spring setup. I'd try to find H&R Super Sport, because it's going to match your coilover rate closer to the kit (H&R Super Sport front is 700-760), and the car will sit lower too.

Yes, thats the coil over rate...

Thanks for the help man!

Do you know if H&R would sell their springs seperately? I guess I will have to give them a call tomorrow or in the next few days...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
They don't sell separate springs. I already called a few weeks ago whe I was looking for Super Race rears. I'm trying to do the same thing as you. I currently have H&R Race kit on the car, and I wanna step it up to something stiffer, because I was getting too much roll in slow corners on the track. I've got a 275 lbs MM coilover for the front (990 in stock location), and wanted to ballance it out with H&R Super Race, because H&R Super Race front spring is a 950-1050 progressive. I got lucky and found someone selling the rears only a week later for 75 dollars shipped. Search the classifieds, someone is bound to be selling rear springs.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
The ones on the corral got sold.... :dunno:
Let me know if you happen to come across a set....

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Just keep looking, and you'll find a set eventually. You don't have to stick with my recommendations, but as long as the rear spring is 250lbs+ and is not very progressive, you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
This is the look Im after (and of course function!!) I know the Eibach front coil overs will give me the adjustability to go as low in the front, as this car in the picture. However I probably wont go AS low. But want the ass end to sit exactly the same way as this one...

I think the H&R SS rear spring should do it? Would the H&R Race spring work (260-280lb) Since there are a bunch of these around on the corral and modularfords for sale..?

Again, Im after form AND function!

P1020205.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
H&R Race would work, but it's not going to be as long as H&R Super Sport. I've got H&R Race springs on the car and the rear got dropped about an inch. Super Sport would lower the car about half an inch more, so it's up to you really. There is always an option of not using spring isolators, but that will only get you so much drop.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
Man you reply pretty fast! :thumb:

I think I'll keep looking out for the SS springs....

Thanks again for your help!

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
If I dont score a set of the SS H&Rs by the time Im ready to put all my suspension bits in....

What do you think of the Eibach Sportline spring? The tech guy at Eibach said it was rated at 250.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've looked at Eibach Sportline spring rate on Stang Suspension, and unless those numbers are incorrect, it tells me that the rear springs are 140 to 295 lbs progressive. This is why I don't like ANY of the off shelf Eibach kits. The springs are ridiculously progressive and drop the car too low anyway.

g_dogg

Reaction score
ReplicaR is absolutely right.
I have from MM coilovers #300.
Still have eibach sportslines in the rear.
Not a good match AT ALL.
Im also looking for some H&R.
how much will H&R Super Race drop the car?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
H&R Super Race is supposed to be a 1.25 inch drop all around.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
Well I talked with an Eibach tech guy again today. Judging by what the Eibach Pro Street coil over kits use (since I dont have the rear springs from that particular kit)...he said the Sportline spring will match up.

So I ordered a pair of the rear springs from one of my suppliers....I will see how well it works..?? Otherwise I will give shit to Eibach for having a poorly matched setup....

ReplicaR

Reaction score
A lot of times it's hard to tell how well stuff is working unless the car is pushed to the limit of the grip. I'd say that the only safe way to do that is to take it to the track. Drive it on that setup, and see if you will like it. Sportline might be a good match at full compression, but I really don't like how progressive the springs are and how they start at less rate than stock springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online