Squeaking Sound from Front Driver Side Wheel

thaliabobalia

Reaction score
Hey, Guys!

Looking for some help here. I have a 2000 GT convertible with 36,000 miles on it. I was driving home yesterday from work when I began to hear a squeaking sound coming from the front drivers side area.

I mostly hear it when turning. The steering wheel does not wobble or feel any different. Below is a link to a video of me pushing down on the front fender to simulate the sound.

Any help is much appreciated!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Could be the upper strut bushing (most likely) or it could be the ball joint (not very likely). Maybe the tie rod end or the strut itself (very unlikely).

OP
OP
thaliabobalia

thaliabobalia

Reaction score
Could be the upper strut bushing (most likely) or it could be the ball joint (not very likely). Maybe the tie rod end or the strut itself (very unlikely).
Thank you for your help. To me, it sounds like the noise is coming from behind the wheel and not by the strut mount. I will try to get a better idea of exactly where it is coming from tomorrow.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Not sure what that is, but it doesn't sound like squeaking to me, more of a clunk. Maybe it's just the vid.
Squeak behind the tire is usually a ball joint

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The sound a bad ball joint makes (especially when during a turn at lower speeds) is more of a rapid fire clicking. A squeaking to me is just a metal on metal rubbing usually, or sometimes metal on rubber that is very old and worn down and starts binding heavily against the metal it's designed to dampen the sound of like a cushion. That's why I'm thinking upper strut mount. The bitch of diagnosing sounds of a car is that you're listening for things inside of a giant metal echo chamber. You think you've pinpointed a noise but then you turn your head 90 degrees and it comes from somewhere else entirely.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The sound a bad ball joint makes (especially when during a turn at lower speeds) is more of a rapid fire clicking. A squeaking to me is just a metal on metal rubbing usually, or sometimes metal on rubber that is very old and worn down and starts binding heavily against the metal it's designed to dampen the sound of like a cushion. That's why I'm thinking upper strut mount. The bitch of diagnosing sounds of a car is that you're listening for things inside of a giant metal echo chamber. You think you've pinpointed a noise but then you turn your head 90 degrees and it comes from somewhere else entirely.
Oddly enough, I’ve never had a ball joint make a clicking sound. It’s always a metal to metal rubbing/squeaking.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That means it was long on its way out before you took notice of the sound.

OP
OP
thaliabobalia

thaliabobalia

Reaction score
The more I research the more I believe it is the ball joint. One guy in the comments section on a YouTube video I was watching said that a bad ball joint sounds just a like a bed at a cheap motel on a Saturday night. That is exactly what this sounds like!

I just ordered one and will let you guys know if it takes care of the issue.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Usually don't just replace one side, do both at the same time. Might as well.

OP
OP
thaliabobalia

thaliabobalia

Reaction score
Hey, Guys!

Although it's taken me a few weeks to get to, I wanted to let you guys know that I changed out out both lower ball joints and that took care of the issue I was having. I appreciate all of your help in diagnosing this!

Kevin

b1pig

Reaction score
You nailed it as did every suggestion that it was the ball joint. I can't tell you how many Fords I've heard this on. Seems the most common are Crown Vics and Exploders.... I don't hear too many Mustangs do it, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online