Squish!

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by 96blak54, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Silver95bird

Silver95bird Active Member

As a thought, how much do the 4.6L's and 5.4L's vary typically from cylinder to cylinder in their height stackups at the deck face? The tallest one becomes the limiting factor.

2. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

My build on a 3V aluminum block showed only .001 change between all the piston deck heights, but the deck height was -.015-.016 down in the hole. Next the last set of Fel Pro head gaskets I got came with both .050 type in the box so they have people that can not read. I have gone through a lot of head gaskets in the last 6 months.

3. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Wow...thats .066" squish. Gonna get the block decked?

4. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

Yeah, go look at the threads on it. Cut the block .012 and the PI heads .080. Cracked heads, going to look at my spare set of NPI's today.

5. joe65

joe65 Active Member

i read through this from the beginning and my head is spinning a little. lol. I can grasp the concept and i can get how some people are so intrigued by the processes involved in the ICE. But, i'm so skeptical now especially after reading some thoughts by other members here, and have to think that its still about getting close and being lucky.. What makes me say that is the whole concept of being hundreds or thousandths of an inch in accuracy. Anyways, this is amazing how far we have come to understand about the process and squeezing power out of every possible process/setup in the engine.

then, here we are heading towards the basic electric motor in cars that produces large amounts of power with amazingly fewer parts.

6. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I believe the electric motor efficiency has been solved for some time now. Its battery demands and the life of them through the demands that has to be solved while manufacturing them safely, plus recycling, and not being a danger to humans in a crazy scenario like wrecks.

The internal combustion engine has far greater interest. Take this thread for instance. Its simple break down into how fuel reacts in the cylinder and its a lame explanation.