starter question on my 1995 cobra

bailey_57

Reaction score
I will try to keep this brief and explicit. I removed the starter from my cobra. took it to autozone and purchased a new lifetime warranty unit. What do the the two wires do? The large ring connector is red, and I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm used to the one wire from the solenoid setup on my previous foxes. Also, this new starter has a crimp style connector(don't know what the technical name is for it) and my factory unit had a male end on the starter and a female connector on a tiny wire.(I believe this is a hot wire) Can I retain this setup or do I have to cut and strip my wire? I hope this post is clear and explicit enough. Thanks in advance for any advice. I really really really want to reinstall the new starter exactly like the old one was installed.

OP
OP
bailey_57

bailey_57

Reaction score
i doesn't have the male connector like the original starter, it has a 6 inch wire coming off it. its printed on the starter to use the setup they have supplied, but like i said i don't like cutting factory style wiring. I just may have to take a picture and post it.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i need pictures, brotha. Are these wires from the starter? or from the car?

OP
OP
bailey_57

bailey_57

Reaction score
The original start had a solenoid with two threaded terminals like a typical solenoid, and then a tab that had another wire hooked to it. I wish i knew the right frickin terminology so i could describe this. Anyway the new starter has the dual post solenoid and a wire instead of the tab. To connect it as is I'll have to splice it in. Can't do pics tonight have to try tomorrow.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea your talking about the signal wire for the starter with the plug that slides onto the tab. ? I'd just get a oem replacement . But splicing ain't a big deal I had to extend that wire on my car because of my wire tuck anyways .

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure it's the solenoid wire too. I had to crimp a terminal on mine as well.

You can either crimp a terminal on it, or make a little piggy back wire if you don't want to cut/splice the factory wire.

OP
OP
bailey_57

bailey_57

Reaction score
I walked into the hardware store today and started looking at all the electrical materials in the automotive section when one of the employees offered assistance. As soon as I started describing my issue, he said, "That's for a ford, right?" He then told me he went through the same process last year, 1 box of male connectors(I only needed one tab) and a wire crimping tool (carefully using dykes is getting old) and a package of heat shrink and I was on my way. This is all for the lead wire which is just a tab on my original starter. On the aftermarket starter they recommend splicing it into the new wire through a butt connector, but I wasn't feeling that so should be back on the road tonight. Why does it seem like the only time my Cobra pulls the front wheels is when there's a jack underneath the k-frame?

RichV

Reaction score
Most of our cars don't pull the front wheels without some help. :)

Glad you got it figured out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online