Starting Issues after fuel pump replacement.

CP94GT

Reaction score
A few months ago the factory fuel pump finally shit the bed in my '94 GT. The car has an obscene amount of miles on it, so isn't really a surprise when any thing fails at this point. The factory fuel pump made a fairly significant audible whine, it has for as long as I can remember, the new one is much less noticeable. Anyhow, the car has almost always started on either the first crank, or would jump to life as soon as the starter kicked on the second hit of the key.

Since the change of the fuel pump it's more like 4 or 5 attempts to start her, or if I cycle the key on and off 2 or three times without actually cranking the engine it'll then start on the first or second try...any thoughts on what could be the cause? Really isn't a major issue, is more of a nuisance, though it does cause a smidge of anxiety wondering if it's going to start.

Thanks,
Chris

07GtS197

Reaction score
It sounds like either the new pump is weak or your fuel filter is clogged. You need to see whats happening with the fuel pressure once you turn the key. Do you have a fuel pressure tester? Another posibility is the fuel line in the tank got pinched or fell of during install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you replace the hose that went between the pump and the hat? That can get a leak in it and then its really hard to diagnose since it leaks back into the tank. As he said a fuel pressure gauge will tell what we need to know

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not getting adequate fuel pressure. I’m with Scott on this. That hose is probably spraying inside the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adfalenski

Reaction score
When the fuel filter clogs, the reduced flow drops the fuel pressure as the demand goes up. If acceleration falters, it is definitely is a clogged fuel filter. A stronger pump is more likely to suck up the crap in the bottom of the tank that the old pump couldn't pull up due to lower suction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online