starting issues - HELP!!!!!

PinkieT

Reaction score
Parked my 98 GT a year and a half ago for a three month project. Just now got the brakes/suspension done, tried to fire it up. It will crank and sometimes barely sputter but won't start. Fuel pump fuse is fine. I reset the red button the trunk, even took it off/shook it so I know the ball was loose/put it back and pushed the button. I can't hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to On. Yes, clutch is depressed and shifter in neutral. No PATS light on the dash, so that isn't it.

What next? I was thinking of disconnecting the fuel filter and have my wife turn it to ON and see if any fuel comes out of the fuel line, but am looking for safer/other low hanging fruit to check first. If it turns out the fuse is fine and the rollover switch is OK, but the fuel pump doesn't come on, then what? I want to make the all-Mustang show at Summit in Tallmadge at the end of the month!!!!!

Reaction score
Parked my 98 GT a year and a half ago for a three month project. Just now got the brakes/suspension done, tried to fire it up. It will crank and sometimes barely sputter but won't start. Fuel pump fuse is fine. I reset the red button the trunk, even took it off/shook it so I know the ball was loose/put it back and pushed the button. I can't hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to On. Yes, clutch is depressed and shifter in neutral. No PATS light on the dash, so that isn't it.

What next? I was thinking of disconnecting the fuel filter and have my wife turn it to ON and see if any fuel comes out of the fuel line, but am looking for safer/other low hanging fruit to check first. If it turns out the fuse is fine and the rollover switch is OK, but the fuel pump doesn't come on, then what? I want to make the all-Mustang show at Summit in Tallmadge at the end of the month!!!!!

It could be a million things. But I’d smell the gas first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It could still be the fuel pump. Run but not create pressure is that almost hit and run deal.

Reaction score
Gas engine no starts are fairly easy to diagnose(compared to diesel). Check fuel pressure, check spark, check the quality of the gas.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Full tank with Stab-Bil when it was put up.

Found what looks like a fuel pressure test port on the top of driver fuel rail towards the front, but of course I don't have a tester that fits. Did the stupid man test - disconnected fuel filter, ran hose into can, turned on car - no fuel. Tried to crank - no fuel. OK, looks like fuel pump isn't coming on.

The rollover switch by the driver side rear taillight - it is an always on, or always off? I unplugged it, tried with it jumped and disconnected, no fuel pump. I disconnected the battery when I re-tested the fuses and I heard a click from the rear of the car when I did, if that gives anybody any clue.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pump probably decided not to spin after sitting so long. Electronics are funny like that. I’d say the pump is more likely to go from sitting then the switch.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Pump probably decided not to spin after sitting so long. Electronics are funny like that. I’d say the pump is more likely to go from sitting then the switch.

OK, is there a way to test the pump without dropping the tank?

Reaction score

I agree if anything i would think the rollover switch would fail in the closed position since it never changes position, unless the car was stored on its roof
:rofl:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The connector to the inertia switch can be hot wired. Basically the inertia is a circuit breaker for that hot line

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
The connector to the inertia switch can be hot wired. Basically the inertia is a circuit breaker for that hot line

"I unplugged it, tried with it jumped and disconnected, no fuel pump." Wish it was that easy!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the inertia switch is on all the time and cuts off when activated. You should see power on it. Have you tried thumping the gas tank to see if you can free up the pump?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
reminded me of this lol
[video=youtube;s8s4uY92HFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8s4uY92HFc[/video]

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
the inertia switch is on all the time and cuts off when activated. You should see power on it. Have you tried thumping the gas tank to see if you can free up the pump?

Tomorrow morning I will check the wiring to the interia switch. If live, I'll check the fuel pump wiring at the connector to see if it is live, and if so plug it back in and whack the tank. If not, I will whack my forehead. :angry4:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
personally I would start with the whacking myself but that has always been the way I roll. In all seriousness its easier/faster and if it works no need for the meter and who has time for meters?!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also let me clarify by saying the switch is "on all the time" I really meant its closed/connected but not sure if that would confuse people and didn't want to get all technical. Now reading what I wrote it sounds like it should have 12v on it all the time and that is not the case. It should show power with the key on/priming but not with the key off. When the switch is activated, it opens the circuit for the pump that kills power to it.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Yep, I'd have someone turning the key on/off and I'd whack the tank with a mallet. If it suddenly starts pumping, you know the pump was stuck... But I think it looks like that by now anyway.

And yes weird failures can happen. Wife's 86gt had the pump relay fail ON, turned the car off and the fuel pump was whirring away. Had to unplug it until we went home and I got a new relay.

Probably time for a new fuel filter anyway.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
also let me clarify by saying the switch is "on all the time" I really meant its closed/connected but not sure if that would confuse people and didn't want to get all technical. Now reading what I wrote it sounds like it should have 12v on it all the time and that is not the case. It should show power with the key on/priming but not with the key off. When the switch is activated, it opens the circuit for the pump that kills power to it.

Yeah, that is what I thought. Dead circuit until key is ON, little steel ball inside makes contact and keeps power flowing, rolls off contacts in an accident and stops power to the pump. Nice, cheap safety feature. I was driving the hills of southern Ohio and saw dust and debris in the air ahead of me. Came around corner and saw car in a ditch on its back. The young lady driver was crawling out the window when I got there. I checked on her - shaken but OK. I then crawled in and shut it off - the engine was still running so obviously this bowtie piece of crap was running the fuel pump while upside down! She got on the phone to Daddy, I was the one who had to call 911.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott