Starting issues

badharleymb

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Mustang gt Convertible Automatic transmission. I have been working on it for a while. I've added a light performance roller cam , aluminum heads, roller rockers, trick flow intake, 85mm BBK throttle body, Ford lighting mass air , BBK ignition, radiator upgrade, electric fan, larger fuel injectors and a Vortech v-1 s trim Supercharger. The starter would turn over and start the 5.0 L before I made all the changes. I have it ready for the Dyno and the starter will not engage. The starter is good, the relays are good the fuses are good and I have changed the transmission neutral switch. I need help has anyone else had this problem ?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had someone use a meter at the starter wires while your turning the key to verify that the starter wire is getting power??

Also, has this car ever had an aftermarket alarm on it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
Have you had someone use a meter at the starter wires while your turning the key to verify that the starter wire is getting power??

Also, has this car ever had an aftermarket alarm on it??

There isn't any power to the starter and it has the factory alarm

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When you turn the key on does the dash show power? Have you tried turning the lights on and hitting the key to see if it’s a battery issue? If it has a dead cell then when you hit the key it could act like there’s no power upon load.

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
There isn't any power to the starter and it has the factory alarm

On the left side of the engine compartment at the bottom side of the radiator is a box with the brake lines attached to it . And it makes a noise when You try to engage the starter

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
When you turn the key on does the dash show power? Have you tried turning the lights on and hitting the key to see if it’s a battery issue? If it has a dead cell then when you hit the key it could act like there’s no power upon load.

Yes the instruments light up, the lights ,horn radio and all work. But You don't hear the fuel pump working

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
On the left side of the engine compartment at the bottom side of the radiator is a box with the brake lines attached to it . And it makes a noise when You try to engage the starter

that should be your abs unit/pump unless your hearing the ccrm that is not far from it. Not sure why you would hear either of those though.

When you said the fuses are good did you mean all of the fuses, or only the ones you thought were related after reading the manual? If you have not physically pulled and inspected or dragged your volt meter down them to ensure they are all good, do that first.

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
that should be your abs unit/pump unless your hearing the ccrm that is not far from it. Not sure why you would hear either of those though.

When you said the fuses are good did you mean all of the fuses, or only the ones you thought were related after reading the manual? If you have not physically pulled and inspected or dragged your volt meter down them to ensure they are all good, do that first.
I have already checked each individual fuse . I'm thinking now it might be the plastic rod in the steering column

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I agree with TTOCS on ccrm , I had to replace one once I had no power till I replaced the ccrm . check voltage on that plus the relays

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure ccrm has nothing to do with the starter or power to the ignition switch

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
I replaced all of them

I replaced the ignition electrical today and checked the rod that operates it also and it was good. All I can do now is check for broken wires

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pull the starter relay out of the fuse box. Test to see if pin slots 85/86 has power on with the key in the start position.

OP
OP
badharleymb

badharleymb

Reaction score
Pull the starter relay out of the fuse box. Test to see if pin slots 85/86 has power on with the key in the start position.
I did and it doesn't. I started under the dash tracing the pink and white wire but I haven't finished yet

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
does the pink/white have power on it when in the start position? Also now to be clear I am saying in the start position, not the run position. It should only have power on it while the starter would be cranking and will be off even in the run position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online