Steering intermediate telescoping joint

Don Stewart

Reaction score
Looking for the play in my steering wheel and found it occurs between inner and outer tube of the upper intermediate shaft. It's about a foot from the steering wheel and under the dash. Very easy to see and feel. Has anyone had theirs apart to see if there are bushings or something that can be replaced? There can't be that much wear on a 38000 mile car. New rack and pinion, good rag joint, front end tight. The ONLY play is in the telescoping piece. I would hate to replace the whole thing if it's not necessary and of course Ford doesn't offer a replacement so, it's all after market or Junk yard from here
Thanks for reading.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a flaming river telescopic shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Don Stewart

Don Stewart

Reaction score
I really appreciate your reading of my post but, I have identified the problem and prefer to fix rather than replace. If it comes to replacing the shaft, I will probably look for a used unit with no play in the slip joint to rob. $50 as opposed to $600 is a no brainer for me. I really think that there are probably some sort of bushings somewhere. Just can't find a detailed breakdown of that particular part.
Thanks again for the response.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online