Steering jerks to either side when on highway.

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I seem to only notice this when on the highway going 60 or faster, does anyone else have this problem it can be a little scary cause you never know when it can happen. I've read it could be the crown of the road? Maybe my tires are too wide up front? I see in my stack of receipts I got with the car that they have taken it into get it aligned quite a bit. I've checked the ball joints they don't seem to be too bad, one has a little tear in it so I'll have to change it in the near future but that wouldn't do it would it? The front tires are 255/40zr17 94y ecsta mx kumho, rears 275/40zr17 98y with what looks to be 2inch spacers and the wheels are the 98 cobra R I believe.
6a023b14763bfbba0c4dfd141fa09a68.jpg
d5f62445c460febc9589281faef4b5fc.jpg
09d042d9b724382e676cbba0f21fadaa.jpg

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it use to be a problem back when the car was new because some of the roads sucked and after 30-40 yrs of use had 2 sets of tracks worn into them. At that time it would grab some of the tracks and pull but it was never a scary thing so much as annoying. I knew what roads would do it so i knew it wasn't the car and the roads it did it on you could see when it was going to do it. IF your talking about driving down a 3 yr old interstate and its jerking, then yet you have a problem somewhere.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Tramlining can happen with wider front tires. If you are on the highway, change lanes and see if the problem persists. I run 315s up front on my New Edge and it will follow the contours of the road, but the steering wheel doesn't move violently.

Also, if the car wasn't aligned properly, you can have issues with the steering wheel moving at speed. But, if the car has been aligned more times than would seem normal, it could signal larger issues.

How many miles are on the car? Has it ever been in an accident? Have you checked: inner and outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, A-arm bushings... all the suspension bushings?

If you remove the steering rack boots, does power steering fluid leak out?

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
it use to be a problem back when the car was new because some of the roads sucked and after 30-40 yrs of use had 2 sets of tracks worn into them. At that time it would grab some of the tracks and pull but it was never a scary thing so much as annoying. I knew what roads would do it so i knew it wasn't the car and the roads it did it on you could see when it was going to do it. IF your talking about driving down a 3 yr old interstate and its jerking, then yet you have a problem somewhere.
It is a 56yr old highway and I thought it was only at a certain speed but the only 2 times I've noticed it actually was on the same highway near the same area. Shortly before that area I let the steering wheel go and it was straight as an arrow till I got to that point then she jerked hmmmm

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Tramlining can happen with wider front tires. If you are on the highway, change lanes and see if the problem persists. I run 315s up front on my New Edge and it will follow the contours of the road, but the steering wheel doesn't move violently.

Also, if the car wasn't aligned properly, you can have issues with the steering wheel moving at speed. But, if the car has been aligned more times than would seem normal, it could signal larger issues.

How many miles are on the car? Has it ever been in an accident? Have you checked: inner and outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, A-arm bushings... all the suspension bushings?

I have only owned the car for about a month and a half and only driven it about 100 miles. The car has 210k on the body and no wrecked on it's record. I haven't checked anything but trying to move the wheel when it's barely off the ground.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score

I posted about a slight click that I hear when I have the car on Jack stands and fully turn the wheel then quickly turn them back, it's hard to reproduce while lifted. I can barely hear it when driving, it's literally just a slight click.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I have only owned the car for about a month and a half and only driven it about 100 miles. The car has 210k on the body and no wrecked on it's record. I haven't checked anything but trying to move the wheel when it's barely off the ground.

If it's only happening on that one stretch of road in the same place, it could be the road.

With 210k miles, it's probably a good idea to check all the stuff I mentioned. And check the wheel bearings.

Remember, bushings can look fine, but be bad. If you have the OEM rubber bushings in place, they are most likely bad.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
what size spacers are those?

Wait till you lower it and learn about bump-steer.
Seem to me they were maybe bring able to turn too far, looks like a little rubbing is happening on the inside of the wheel.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Ball joints more than likely. Does it do when you hit the brakes.
The clicking kinda happens randomly when driving, for sure when I'm turning. Seems that it's coming from the rack and pinion. Just a tiny sounding click

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
If it's only happening on that one stretch of road in the same place, it could be the road.

With 210k miles, it's probably a good idea to check all the stuff I mentioned. And check the wheel bearings.

Remember, bushings can look fine, but be bad. If you have the OEM rubber bushings in place, they are most likely bad.
Honestly looks like a new rack and pinion, real clean aluminum

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
taking the rear tires in a bit would probably help. Unless you are really fond with how much they poke out.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
taking the rear tires in a bit would probably help. Unless you are really fond with how much they poke out.
I do like them sticking out a bit, I don't think that is what's suddenly pulling.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I posted about a slight click that I hear when I have the car on Jack stands and fully turn the wheel then quickly turn them back, it's hard to reproduce while lifted. I can barely hear it when driving, it's literally just a slight click.

When you say steering rack do you mean the rack and pinion?

waynenorcross

Reaction score

Make sure they input the correct settings if the car has been lowered. I was going through RE71's almost monthly because they didn't overide the factory settings in the alignment machine. Everything would come up hreen but they had the camber at like -3 degrees. It would follow every groove in the highway. Even switch lanes on me. Would have been nice for autocrossing, though!

Addicted

Reaction score
If you take the time, and measure precisely, you can do you own alignments. Only time I go to a shop is to get tires put on, and I take the rims to them, because most shops don't car to scratch the crap out of your wheels. If someone wanted to open a shop just for the car guy that cares about every aspect of his car, they would make a killing. Down to the way that they even lay something down, to show that we care. If you care enough, you will pay, and call the very best. Name of it could be "The shop for the car guy" or "The car guys shop". Sorry, I'm thinking out loud:D

AdamP

Reaction score
My 04 does the same thing. Is it lowered, bump steer? I'm lowered and having bump steer issues. Bought a bump steer kit off LMR havent installed yet. Will let you know if it helps

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bumpsteer kits do help when lowered.

But ya gotta install em first!!!!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member