Steering U-Joint Proper Name

wvmedic99

Reaction score
Good Afternoon, first time poster here.

Today, working on my son's 98, we replaced the stock steering shaft with a solid shaft from Maximum Motorsports. While we were connecting the upper part of the MM shaft inside the cabin, the bolt started to create it's own path...the pinch bolt, that is. It actually scored the inside of the U-Joint enough to start threading into the steel, so now it won't tighten (it started bending the u-joint.) The universal joint that connects to the intermediate shaft, is there a proper name for it? I have called NAPA etc, and they all think I am hitting the crack pipe. They keep trying to sell me the intermediate shaft.

Thanks in advance!

Don

user_offline.gif report.gif

TrickVert

Reaction score
The term I believe you're looking for is "rag joint." It's also referred to as a "steering coupler."

P.S. Welcome to the fray!

Notthenow

Reaction score
The MM shaft eliminates the rag joint which is in the engine compartment and not in the cabin.

OP
OP
wvmedic99

wvmedic99

Reaction score
The term I believe you're looking for is "rag joint." It's also referred to as a "steering coupler."

P.S. Welcome to the fray!
So, I think it is a coupler, but the rag joint is definitely in the engine compartment right above the steering rack input shaft.

What we did to fix this issue was drilled out the threads on the hole, inserted an M8x1.25x50 mm bolt with a lockwasher and nut at the other end. Cinched it nice, 24-30 footpounds of torque and its as good as new.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent fix. Don't trust a lock washer, though. Use a lock nut that is not nylon and/or some blue locktite, IMHO.

Monday

Reaction score
So, I think it is a coupler, but the rag joint is definitely in the engine compartment right above the steering rack input shaft.

What we did to fix this issue ... good as new.
You have a picture?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah