Strange Leak

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all

Parked up earlier for about half an hour and on return to the car there was a puddle of liquid dripping away from the underneath. Looked like it was coming from roughly middle of the car as you look from the front, just behind the front of the front wheels for alignment.

I could see it dropping out quite regularly. Fortunately I was only half a mile from home so took her back and put her on the driveway. No leak. Nothing. Not even a tiny drip.

The only difference between the 2 locations is that where I was I left the wheels turned when parking, at home they are straight.

The liquid was a dark brown in colour, but too watery for oil. Hour and a half later after being home still no drip.

Drove fine coming back.

Any ideas what it could be? I was thinking power steering fluid based on the wheel angle whilst parked but that was purely circumstantial.

Thanks in advance.

TMW

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Old, dirty trans fluid will be brown and so will power steering fluid.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hmmm

I'm still thinking power steering.

Will see if I can get it to re-occur...

Thanks for confirming.

TMW

Reaction score
I had a slight drip and it was Power Steering fluid from the rack. I used my fluid suction gun and sucked all the old power steering fluid out , added more , let it run and sucked it out again. I did this three times to get all the old and discolured fluid out. Then I refilled and added a half pint of power steering stop leak, The leak quit and the power steering is quieter and works perfectly. That was three years ago and everything is good. My son's CJ7 Jeep was having power steering issues. We di the same thing , sucked all fluid out,added , sucked out again and then refilled with fresh power steering fluid and some stop leak. His power steering is restored and functions perfectly

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
It's a weird one. Hasn't done it since and all is fine and working as needed...

TMW

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
was it raining and you had driven the car? a/c on? did you touch the liquid? smell it?

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Couldn't get to it.

No rain

Yes had driven - wasn't the AC drip, much more than that.

But still nothing since ...

TMW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Touch Red

Members online