Street car<>track car

gtwo

Reaction score
At that crossroads where I'm trying to decide whether to keep the stang comfortable or just make a track/street play car. Who made the jump with "their" car? Who was happy they did? Who regretted it forever?
Campfire lit, beer open, tell your stories.

RichV

Reaction score
I've done it more than once. But I bought cars that were dedicated to become race cars. Even tho they may have gotten driven, at least for a little bit. Don't regret any of them, the only reservation I have is some special model that get hacked up for a race car that will ultimately end up crashed, burned, or in a yard.

I have a couple of toys tho, a 85 SVO and a 05 GT. The GT ... may become a track car in the future. The SVO will always be a garage queen. And I have a 94 GT that's a dedicated road race car.

OP
OP
G

gtwo

Reaction score
Just not sure how far to push it. What's hardcore weight reduction worth in the quarter?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=19528]gtwo[/MENTION] - I use this website (http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php) when I want ball park estimates like that. There are a TON of other calculators elsewhere on the page. Punched in some numbers for ya:

3500 lb vehicle @ 300 hp goes 13.31 @ 101.42

2800 lb vehicle @ 300 hp goes 12.26 @ 109.25

RichV

Reaction score
The answer is quite easy.

Once you get serious about competing, the race car comes.

So if you race in a class, for points, and attend ALL the events, you need a race car. If you go to the track as you please and don't really compete, then I wouldn't do it. No reason to.

410sn95

Reaction score
My car went from a DD to a fun track/street play car. No regrets.

Could I daily the car? Sure, but it would get old real quick. I have earplugs in the center console for a reason...

If you go this route, do your self a favor and get a nice comfortable daily driver.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have never had anything really nice so a track car being DD is no biggie my 08 f250 was nice but the lift and tires and HP made it almost undriveable(unsafe).

The D3V

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my car set up for the 1/4 mile, but I have not gone to the extreme with anything. I have things like bolt in roll bar, torque boxes plated and welded, no front sway bar with fox 4 banger front springs, drag rear suspension, etc. However, I have kept things like A/C, full Mach 460 stereo, front and rear Cobra seats, because I do take the car on trips and do a fair amount of cruising. I know that Im leaving some E.T. on the table, but Im ok with that because the car is still really comfortable to drive. I have a buddy that has a beautiful '68 Chevelle SS 396 that was a really fun street car, and ran great. In his quest for faster E.T.s, the car is now a back halved, 14:1 compression big block that cant be driven on the street anymore. This has become a HUGE regret for him, and hes always told me not to go overboard with my car because I will regret it. So Ive listened to him and still can enjoy the car on the street or track....

Sinned83

Reaction score
I would turn a project car into a racer. I couldn't ever just cut up a perfectly good street car. Maybe occasionally take my DD to a track

410sn95

Reaction score
I should add that in my case, I really like having it as the street/track/toy. Sure I don't drive it as often as a daily but every time I do drive the car, its that much fun.

The experience never gets old. It's ALWAYS a lot of fun. Looking the car over, Pulling out of the shop, warming the car up, terrorizing the neighborhood. Always on a super nice day. Its just too much fun to have a ridiculous street car...

I would never turn it into a track only car.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I was at that crossroad a while back and went with street car that is still fun. Compromise. Light weight reduction such as rear seat, lighter front seats etc.. I don't plan to do any competition racing so street car is fine by me.

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
I was at that line and crossed it with out realizing it. I was able to recover because I saved 99% my stock parts.

If you want weight reduction it does not have to be permeant. You can un bolt things for the weekend. like rear deck stereo, rear seat. passenger seat. Light weight rims are expensive and will help as well. alum FW. alum DS.

You can also just remove the front and rear bumper and keep them off. (I did it) Air-conditioning removal another 35 pounds. This is when you are very close to that line.

Remove those tail pipes and heavy mufflers. Bullets for the light weight and race car sound! Just enough back pressure there.

Don't forget the coil over up front for further weight savings. the removal of the front sway bar too.

Now what you have is a quick car with some motor mods. Pushing lets say 315-350 rear wheel. running mid low 11's.

What you also have are noisy tires lots of straight line traction in the sunny dry weather. If it rains your not happy. Your suspension is not terrible even though you have adjustable struts and shocks…. until you realize your taking that off ramp a little too fast. Ok you slowed down you can breath now your skinny front tires and alum. rims did not fold on you.

Now you get home and realize you have a headache from all the noise and fumes from the dumps and the 4.56's whine like a *****. The exhaust does sound awesome through the x-pipe and the 4.56's do rev up quick.

After a while you grow tired of removing the interior and putting it back in to go to the track. so you leave the back seat and the rear deck out. and just put the passenger seat back in. If you real hardcore you swap the drivers seat for the passenger seat and save 10-15 more pounds. lol I did this too!

When it's all over after 15 years you go up in the attic and get everything and undo almost all of the work you did. I just finished this job. Actually I still need to put the front bumper support back in. :)

You get your sway bar back on and some stiffer springs along with an exhaust that exits through the rear of the car. (I saved my stock tail pipes) You listen to your radio while driving on the expressway with your 4.10 gear that has zero whine while not being the slowest car on the expressway. Wow I can actually hear what the kids are saying and they did not need their harbor freight ear muff protection to go for a ride with their Dad. All new front and rear control arms shocks struts real street tires. The car actually feels better than the day I drove it off the lot. Insert smile here :)

I never regretted it one bit though. The car was a beast back in the day. Won a local championship in 2007 IMSM Street Intimidator. Went to the semi finals at NMRA but red lit by .004 slept in my car all weekend too and I almost did it. Car made 3 magazine appearances also. I put a lot of time in this car and at one time it was my life. There was not a day that went by when I put my head to my pillow that I was thinking of what part I need next or what could I do to make it better faster. My kids need me now so I will drive it to their baseball football games and gymnastic events.

One more reason that put the icing on the cake…. when GT's started making 400 hp out of the factory it was time to let it go. When stock cobras ran mid 11's in the 1/4 with just an exhaust and gears on drag radials at full weight I was like whoa!

This past month I brought it back and I am as excited to drive it as I was in 1998 when I pulled it off the lot 16 years and 4 days ago.

Thats my story Dan

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
Oh I forgot about all the stories of coming home on flatbeds. with blown differentials shattered clutches and bent tranny forks. you get the picture. Launching at 7K dumping is not joke on a drive train. 4 rear ends 4 trannys 8 clutches, 4 differentials. 4.30, 4.56, and 4.10's. So yeah I'm done. Just want to cruise at this point.

The funny part was when these cars were new the haters were like your ruining that car. They never did anything in their car never beat on it nothing. dumped money in it then sold it. Atleast I can say I had the front wheels off the ground and my car went 11.66 on a stock long block. I say this to the haters in my area. where is your ****in car? Oh yeah you sold it for a mini van. I still got mine.

As long as you keep in mind there will always be faster cars. How fast do you want to go…well how much money do you have!

I will say racing is a very humbling sport!

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
Um I has 5.13 gear, 6800 7.5" stall converter... racecaahh

You got 28" tall tires I presume.

"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papitto

Al was the man! What is he doing now?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
26 on the car now, have 28s after I see how bad thwy are.

No idea, he dropped off after a few deals got "messy"

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
I don't think you will be able to cross the finish line unless your motor makes power to 8-9000 rpms.
the 5.13 and 28" tires crosses at around 7200 rpm.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Oh I forgot about all the stories of coming home on flatbeds. with blown differentials shattered clutches and bent tranny forks. you get the picture. Launching at 7K dumping is not joke on a drive train. 4 rear ends 4 trannys 8 clutches, 4 differentials. 4.30, 4.56, and 4.10's. So yeah I'm done. Just want to cruise at this point.

The funny part was when these cars were new the haters were like your ruining that car. They never did anything in their car never beat on it nothing. dumped money in it then sold it. Atleast I can say I had the front wheels off the ground and my car went 11.66 on a stock long block. I say this to the haters in my area. where is your ****in car? Oh yeah you sold it for a mini van. I still got mine.

As long as you keep in mind there will always be faster cars. How fast do you want to go…well how much money do you have!

I will say racing is a very humbling sport!

Sorry this is kind of off topic, but since you say are returning it to pretty much stock as a cruiser, will you be selling any parts? I'm mainly interested in the SRI and imrc deletes.

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
Sorry this is kind of off topic, but since you say are returning it to pretty much stock as a cruiser, will you be selling any parts? I'm mainly interested in the SRI and imrc deletes.

Since you asked if I ever do I will give you the first shot.

To answer your question. No I have no plans at this time or in the future to let it go. I can't take all the fun out of the car. Thats the one thing this sleeper has going for it. The power band from 5K to 7K. This will keep it a high 12 second street car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online