Strut Tower Braces?

Rallim

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Google and search are failing me, looking at differences on strut tower braces. Late model resto has a BBK one listed for a 96+ GT, American Muscle has a SR Performance one for a 94+. I've got a friend who's got a spare aftermarket one, not sure on the brand or anything but I think it's a BBK one or something similar. Anyways, how close are 4.6 and 5.0 braces and what's the likelihood of this one fitting my 5.0 car?

Here's a picture.

1098270_208855702607146_669907691_n.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The mounts in the back are different. I tried to fit my 95-95 on a modular and it wasn't anywhere close to fitting.

RichV

Reaction score
I thought all 94/95 5.0s had the STB standard?

I have 2 OEM 94/95 braces if you're interested. PM me, maybe can work out a deal.

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
They do, but from what I recall they're pretty weak. And a friend of mine just sold their car, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with one right now haha

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Even if there weak something is better then nothing especially with my car being a Vert

Addermk2

Reaction score
If there was a measurable performance improvement from installing a strut tower bar. Don't you think Ford would have put them in the 94-95 cobras too?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If there was a measurable performance improvement from installing a strut tower bar. Don't you think Ford would have put them in the 94-95 cobras too?

if i were driving a modified 20 year old mustang with no SFCs. .. . id get a STB, too.

i know everyone loves our cars, but at the end of the day they are getting old. Some rigidity wouldnt hurt.

Additionally, "dont you think Ford would have......" is somewhat short-sighted. Cars are 50% built by engineers and 50% built by accountants...

Building Mustangs - Act 1, Scene 1.

Accountant:
"Do we NEED this 'strut tower brace'?"

Engineer:
"Well, not now, but once the thing is modified and is 20 years old...

Accountant:
"Well, we'll save $84.00 per unit made by not installing one. You say they'll only be needed after they are modified and/or old, at which point failure will not be our concern. $84.00 per 1,000,000 produced = $84,000,000 saved, which means I just made my quota and bought a new yacht."

Shifty Powers

Reaction score

Kind of a shitty way to put it. If that were the case, why the hell do we modify our cars with better parts? I mean why put on better shocks/struts? Why put on SFCs? Ford didnt. So it shouldnt be needed then right?

Plus. If he puts it on. What is it going to do? Have a negative effect on his car? LOL comon man.

Plus. Ya think ford might not have realized something? Overlooked something? I mean nooooo. They couldnt ever do that.

RichV

Reaction score
*Foxbody discleaimer* *caged race car disclaimer* :)

After a STB, I noticed zero improvement in laptimes or feel of the car. On any track I have run.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^+1.

i highly doubt anyone would feel a difference, but if you simply look at the geometry of our cars, lateral bracing is non-existent.

The firewall and floor boards are about it, as well as the roof.

I'm all for any lateral assistance we can get. SFCs will help with front to back, but there's still all those forces and such going side-to-side through the firewall. ..... . ..

It's like putting on a K&N filter. no one can tell the difference, but at the end of the day we're trying to squeeze the best performance and longevity out of our 20 year old 'stangs... :-D

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Thats why its on the 96 cobras.. Firewall was too thin. Then in 97 they made it thicker to get rid of the stb. Not sure if that saved them money or not. But no matter what, specially being a 96. I will not take my STB off and would put one on even if i had a 97 or 98

That is all the lateral bracing they have.. And its shatty

On a side note.. a rear STB is completely pointless on these cars

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thats why its on the 96 cobras.. Firewall was too thin. Then in 97 they made it thicker to get rid of the stb. Not sure if that saved them money or not. But no matter what, specially being a 96. I will not take my STB off and would put one on even if i had a 97 or 98

That is all the lateral bracing they have.. And its shatty

On a side note.. a rear STB is completely pointless on these cars

The 97 Cobra came with a factory installed strut tower brace. I don't have a CAI because I am not removing my STB.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
i thought BBK offered an ugly ass CAI that fit...

There are a couple that make one. But they are expensive $200.00+, and the gains are not that great. You still have all the bends in the piping. But I will eventually get one. It is needed with the headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Impossible_Fishy

Members online