Strut Tower Braces?

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
BBK does make one that fits the STB. Chrome and now a black poly one. They are actually a good piece. Also C&L did make one. not sure anymore.

My BBK one actually wouldnt fit after i replaced the motor mounts

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, so should I go grab the one off the 98GT in the junkyard and put it on my 95 v6?

If it'll fit than yeah I'd get it. Your gonna have to drill holes in the strut towers to bolt it on. I don't know how much these tower braces do. But I can say on mine when I took it off to paint it. All i did was turn my car around in the drive way and it felt so loose without the tower brace on. Put it back on and felt a lot better.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, so should I go grab the one off the 98GT in the junkyard and put it on my 95 v6?

Depends what your intentions are with the car.

Personally i'd put my money into something actually worth something (subframes, control arms, panhard bar), as opposed to a giant brace that gets in the way when you have to wrench on the motor.

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
Chris, Yes they give cash refunds. Brandy new junkyard, probably the best I've ever been to.
5.ohh my car already has all the holes, so it'd be a direct bolt in.
Ferocious - I've already done new poly up front, new r&p, ball joints, replaced the shocks all around. I'm looking at doing SFCs (I build dirt track cars) so I'll build them myself they look pretty easy to do.

All the bushings in the rear are shot, trying to figure out what to do there, poly everywhere or get replacement rubbers, and then box in the CAs to make them stronger. I just had to replace the tranny 2 weekends ago, I got lucky it was a fresh rebuild on it in the junkyard. I found the tag on it, so I saved a bunch, got it for 65.00. The new tranny shifts better and makes it more fun to drive though. This car was junk when I got it. It was an impulse buy after I spent a year in Iraq. I overpaid for it and I'm not sure if I'm even going to keep it, but it gets better mileage than my truck and is paid for....
This was going to be my daughter's car, but probably not anymore.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know I tried to sell one that fit my 94 onto a 96 and it wasn't happening. The mounting point on the firewall was different.

LI98GT

Reaction score

'98 GTs didn't come with STBs that I know of, so that one is probably aftermarket. I added a light weight Steeda one and felt the difference when one side of the car hit a bump or pothole, it was definitely more stable and feel less car motion. I would give it a try if I were in your shoes.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah Idk.... Haas anyone seen a strut tower brace the mounts to the cc bolts?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MadStang

Reaction score
*Foxbody discleaimer* *caged race car disclaimer* :)

After a STB, I noticed zero improvement in laptimes or feel of the car. On any track I have run.

this may be true but on a racecar I'd highly recommend one. After a heated debate on modded mustangs about strut tower braces, one member came in with the facts of how badly the strut towers will distort on a racecar if you do not use one. Needless to say I bought one a day later lol. I haven't felt a difference but I'd rather not have my strut towers distorting and warping...

I very respectfully differ in opinion on this and I see the upper bracing as critical to overall function in a performance application and far more important if you run coil over shocks, where the load of the springs is no longer retained within the lower spring perches.

Later model Mustangs like your very "nice" looking New Edge, had substantial improvements made in terms of chassis stiffness over the earlier Fox models, especially in the front fender well, upper bearing plate areas, but Ford still spent the time and money to tool up for strut tower bracing on its performance models. That should raise some questions.

The strut towers on said Mustangs are subjected to enormous loads as the car transitions bumps and cornering loads. The strut also carries the loads that maintain the geometry of the steering knuckle, since we don’t carry an upper control arm on our cars.

I have finite modeled several chassis over the years and made many measurements using an active linear scale to measure deflection at different load points. The area in question has revealed movements as great as 2.75” under cornering loads generated by street tires, which states to me that Ford wasn't wasting their money by incorporating stiffening devices in this area on their performance models.

For the 2.3L Mustang, cutting and bending of a strut brace may be required for clearance.

In the image below, you can see a scale attached between the strut towers. This scale feeds data to a laptop which, in turn records changes to chassis geometry. This is truly an import area to consider.

OHC.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here’s a rough example below. Without getting into a deep discussion on this, we can see from the picture, how force is applied to the chassis through the lower ball joint, which acts as a fulcrum point to transfer load in the opposite direction to the upper strut mount. When you view the chassis from this viewpoint, you can clearly see that it is like a “C” channel, with the vertical legs of the channel only tied together at the firewall and a paper thin radiator core support. If you let that set in, you might see why I would suggest rigid bracing between the struts.
Good discussion BTW.

RichV

Reaction score
An old racer's trick, attach a piece of balsa wood from tower to tower. Run a track session, see if it breaks.

I do agree MadStang on helping the longevity on a track car. None of these chassis are designed for sustained forces of racing all their lives. All suspension pick up points have been known to weaken, welds crack, and the chassis flex gets worse. Even caged race cars.

I do run a STB as well, maybe more for the longevity reason. Or incase and accident, it wont collapse the towers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online