Suggestions for junkyard turbo setup?

fordguysmith

Reaction score
I really want to beef up my '94. A turbo sounds like a good idea. I don't have the money to go all out on the motor. With a Garrett T3 or T4, what should I do to the motor to keep it together under boost and make a decent amount of power?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
For what you can get a MasterPower turbo for now a days, i wouldn't waste my time buying a junkyard turbo. you can get a Brand new Masterpower T-70 for $550 and it will support 700-750hp.

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
For what you can get a MasterPower turbo for now a days, i wouldn't waste my time buying a junkyard turbo. you can get a Brand new Masterpower T-70 for $550 and it will support 700-750hp.

Build me a bolt on turbo kit yo./ ;D :naughty:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
check out the forums over at turbomustangs.com, they have plenty of stuff for 5.0s

Pony down makes a kit as well as many others.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

:help2:

hahaha...

sned me your car and i'll hook ya up. for a price. LOL

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

hahaha...

Where are you located?

How much are we looking at? Would it be a bolt on or would I have to change out my K member?

My current power level is around 450-500 on around 8 psi of boost with the S Trim.

I often think about selling it and getting a decent sized single turbo...

I just don't know if it'll be worth the hassle....

I know the Hellion kits and what not are more than I want to spend when all I have to do is get a T trim and pulley down some to make power.

m0n0x1d3

Reaction score
B&G Turbo

It's the only way to go if you wanna do a semi-DIY build. He's right about the Master power turbo too. If you watch them on the eBay you can pick a NEW one up for teh cheap.

My buddy and i turboed my old 2000 V6 using a Holset hy35w off of a 2000 Doge Cummings turbo diesel, (Perfectly sized for the 3.8l, but that might be a bit small for a V8 though if you intend on pushing the motor.).

When I turbo my 95 GT here shortly, I'm buying the hot side from the B&G, as i don't think i have the time/energy/patience for another complete DIY build.

The cost of their headers, crossover, and downpipe (appox. $800) are WELL worth the labor costs they're selling them for IMO. Especially if you don't have a welder and the appropriate tools just laying around like i did to fab up yer own.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

hahaha...

Where are you located?

How much are we looking at? Would it be a bolt on or would I have to change out my K member?

My current power level is around 450-500 on around 8 psi of boost with the S Trim.

I know the Hellion kits and what not are more than I want to spend when all I have to do is get a T trim and pulley down some to make power.

It was about $2800 in materials for my current setup not including front suspension. you can do a single turbo setup w/o replacing the K member but it makes it 10000 times easier so i highly suggest doing the swap. I'm in greenville, SC for now. haha. might be moving to Bridgewater, Va here soon.

S

scarface

Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

hahaha...

Where are you located?

It was about $2800 in materials for my current setup not including front suspension. you can do a single turbo setup w/o replacing the K member but it makes it 10000 times easier so i highly suggest doing the swap. I'm in greenville, SC for now. haha. might be moving to Bridgewater, Va here soon.
if you move to Va, I might see you hooking me up with a kit asap :)

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

hahaha...

Where are you located?

I really am tempted to..... :noes:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:
TheBab said:
Thomas_W said:

hahaha...

Where are you located?

I really am tempted to..... :noes:

I've had Roots, Centri, nitrous, and 2 turbo cars. I'll never go with anything else again except for maybe a KB over my turbo.

TheBab

Reaction score
I'm still somewhat serious bout building me a bolt on turbo kit. O0 O0

:noes:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:
I'm still somewhat serious bout building me a bolt on turbo kit. O0 O0

:noes:

hmmm..

lemme get up some prices on everything and i'll let ya know.

what kinda HP recommendations you want?

I "might" be able to do a twin turbo setup for slightly more using a pair of brand new Precision SC61's. (61mm turbo's like what HP use's). I can get those turbos for around $850-900 each.

TheBab

Reaction score
If I go the turbo route..

I'd like to start out with around 500 hp with room to grow obviously..

My fuel set up only consists of the 42#ers, lightning maf, Walboro 255 fuel pump with T-rex pump

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
so thomas, if i was to send you some of magicbus' headers, how much would it cost for you to build me the hotside and an open downpipe? or if you want to make your own headers or whatever?

and this would be with a full QA1 tubular front a coilovers, which i think is the same setup you have.

TheBab

Reaction score
Thomas the reason I say semi serious is due to the fact that I am here for 4 more months....

When I move.. I'll get roughly $10,000 just to move my own stuff rather than making the military.

A lot of that will pay off bills but I will have around $1,500 + whatever I sell off my Vortech kit for to play with....

And will get more serious about it when the time comes...

I was just wanting to get a figure from ya on what I need to look into ...

I'd prefer it to be a bolt on with the stock K-Member and what not....

Thomas_W

Reaction score
TheBab said:
Thomas the reason I say semi serious is due to the fact that I am here for 4 more months....

When I move.. I'll get roughly $10,000 just to move my own stuff rather than making the military.

A lot of that will pay off bills but I will have around $1,500 + whatever I sell off my Vortech kit for to play with....

And will get more serious about it when the time comes...

I was just wanting to get a figure from ya on what I need to look into ...

I'd prefer it to be a bolt on with the stock K-Member and what not....

gotcha.. if magicbus has headers it'll all work with factory stuff, you'll just have to either relocate the battery, PS lines, fuse box and brake proportioning valve to run a downpipe over the top of the header and between the head and chassis.

or.

run the downpipe under the K member.

I'll get some prices up for ya though.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
so thomas, if i was to send you some of magicbus' headers, how much would it cost for you to build me the hotside and an open downpipe? or if you want to make your own headers or whatever?

and this would be with a full QA1 tubular front a coilovers, which i think is the same setup you have.

you supply headers + my hot side and partial downpipe... hhhmm.. roughly $800.. you supply parts

My headers, hotside and partial downpipe.. $1400 + parts

I could get a hotside done in about a week w/ magic bus' headers. if i have to make some on my own, it'll take atleast a month.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
you supply headers + my hot side and partial downpipe... hhhmm.. roughly $800.. you supply parts

I could get a hotside done in about a week w/ magic bus' headers. if i have to make some on my own, it'll take atleast a month.
wow, that isn't bad at all....let me know what kind of bends and such you would need so i can start planning out all the expenses.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
Thomas_W said:

wow, that isn't bad at all....let me know what kind of bends and such you would need so i can start planning out all the expenses.

parts price for my hotside MB headers is about $400
parts price for my headers and hotside is about - $700 b/c of all the flanges

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online