Sunday Funday @ white95’s

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Different rear ends or just painted up and cleaned up while upgrading parts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Figure out exactly what was causing the vibration?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That looks like a lot of effort for a Sunday. I hope you guys figured out the vibration issue!

On another note, the white 95 looks pretty solid and mostly red. Looking forward to some updates on this soon!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
It wasn’t so much a lot of work as it was a lot of hassle. Ran in to a few road blocks and the car wanted to fight with us, so it was kind of tough but we fought it out and got it swapped.

The good news is, we know precisely that the vibration is somewhere between the front of the car and the back.

The bad news is, the vibration is still there.

So, 4 engines, 2 transmission, 2 different sets of engine mounts, 3 different transmission mounts, and two different rear ends, the vibration is still there.

I think I’m swapping driveshafts next. I did have a steel one in there and this aluminum one and both of those vibrates but maybe they were both bad. Who knows anymore......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the vibration like?? When do you feel it and where does it feel like you feel the vibration the most??

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It’s an oscillating vibration that increases intensity as speed increases. It resonates through the whole car.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Why don't we try running it on a dyno. If it doesn't vibrate then you know it's in the front suspension.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What about total drive line alignment? I have a set up where the front and rear subframes are not square to the drivetrain but the wheel alignment and thrust angle front and rear are set by Hunter laser machine come out straight driving down the road but when checking with tape and pendulum I am off by a lot. Drive shaft is going from passenger side to the driver side in the rear and engine is offset to the passenger side from the factory... and I have a buzzing sound coming from my shifter?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
What about total drive line alignment? I have a set up where the front and rear subframes are not square to the drivetrain but the wheel alignment and thrust angle front and rear are set by Hunter laser machine come out straight driving down the road but when checking with tape and pendulum I am off by a lot. Drive shaft is going from passenger side to the driver side in the rear and engine is offset to the passenger side from the factory... and I have a buzzing sound coming from my shifter?

Now that is something to think about. I haven’t checked the left/right driveshaft angles. I guess that could cause problems just like up/down angle could.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
check the pinion angles of the tail shaft housing and the flange at the rear.
What rear end gear?
Also, different transmissions doesnt guarantee that the tail shaft bushing at the slip yoke isnt worn. Look for ridges or steps in the slip yoke. Measure both the slip yoke and the bushing, im sure there is a spec of how much wear is allowed.
Are both the center sections you tried the same gear? Both Ford built? Or if not, what does the wear pattern and backlash look like? Ive had used gears that vibed like crazy before, never do that again.

edited to correct bad autocorrect.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
check the pinion angles of the tail shaft housing and the flange at the rear.
What rear end gear?
Also, different transmissions doesnt guarantee that the tail shaft bushing at the slip yoke isnt worn. Look for ridges or steps in the slip yoke. Measure both the slip yoke and the bushing, im sure there is a spec of how much wear is allowed.
Are both the center sections you tried the same gear? Both Ford built? Or if not, what does the wear pattern and backlash look like? Ive had used gears that vibed like crazy before, never do that again.

edited to correct bad autocorrect.

So this is where I’m going to throw you for a loop. I rebuilt both transmissions and they both got new tail bushings as well as new slip yokes. Those do not have any wear or slack issues. The trans is 2° down and the diff was 2° up with my old setup. It’s not as far up with this diff setup. I have now had 3 different gear sets, all Ford, 3.55, 4.10, and now 3.27.

Sunday we took it from my 4.10 set and went to the 3.27 set. The vibration is the same, just at a higher speed now. This is what has me thinking it’s related to driveshaft speed.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
i agree, i think then that its driveline speed not axle speed. in a way its helpful to at least eliminate half the rotating parts.

Id try a different drive shaft too.
This slip yoke doesn't have the damper built into it, by chance, does it?
The cars that have them may get really squirrelly if the rubber deteriorates or the ring comes off. Ford didn't use them on every trans/application though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

joe65

Reaction score
i'm still looking at the car port there. Can't decide if its better or worse than a garage. Lots of light and good air, but i guess there's also that on bad days too. I dunno i'm just at that age where you have to turn on every known light possible for me to see so i like having the garage door open to work.

just from a dummies perspective, same wheels/tires through all the swaps? I know i'm late to the game here, but just thought of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online