Supercharger vs Turbo

jimgt95

Reaction score
Spyder said:
If anything i would think that the turbo would be less likely to blow out due to the fact that the motor is working a hell of a lot less to make the same amount of power. Turbos will make the same amount of power with less boost, which eguals less stress.

I recently read in a major auto mag that turbos actually take a bit more power to run due to the restriction of the turbine in the exhaust path and (depending on set up) twists that the exhaust tubing makes to get to it. That was sited as a large contributor to lag as well. As far as power per pound of boost, with my KB, I make 376rwhp/385rwtq from just 7.5 psi on 93 octane premium pump gas. The stress can be argued two ways. Amount of boost and tune. Both are major factors. But, the tune is really the key to making any kind of power, whether it's a KB or a turbo (or anything for that matter). Blowing head gaskets will happen if you don't get it tuned right and it detonates (boy do I know that!!! lol!!). The tune is really the key to unlocking safe, detonation free power. Tune, tune, tune, I can't say it enough.

Here's another reason I vote KB: I'm cruising down the highway in overdrive at 55mph (about 1750 prm w/3.55's). I need to pass a car. I just crack the throttle a little bit, dial up a couple pounds of boost and away I go. No downshifting to get into the power band that begins at 2500 to 3500 rpm and builds from there. My positive displacement KB literally has a power band from 1500 to 5700 rpm. That means (nearly) full boost is available dependant on throttle position, not rpm. Do I make more power as rpm increases? Sure, more airflow through the engine. But the power is available down low where most of my driving/passing/etc. is done. For my puposes, the power is more usable.

Now, I'll play devil's advocate. Some of the fastest cars I have ever seen are single and twin turbos. And I think that a lot of the negative association with the turbo is from a lack of good, stable aftermarket kits. A lot of early turbo kits forced the user to fabricate, cut, and bend to get it to work. And then it was a tuning nightmare. (Don't worry about that with a KB!). More recently, the turbo is catching on now that there are some better kits out.

Matt, the question is, what do you want from your car?

jimgt95

Reaction score
Awesome vid!!! If Mike Murrillo had his hands in tuning that Mach no wonder it's a terror. No doubt, turbos are bad. But, for my purposes, comprehensively, I still vote KB. If I just had enough money to do both on different cars.....

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jimgt95 said:
Spyder said:
If anything i would think that the turbo would be less likely to blow out due to the fact that the motor is working a hell of a lot less to make the same amount of power. Turbos will make the same amount of power with less boost, which eguals less stress.

I recently read in a major auto mag that turbos actually take a bit more power to run due to the restriction of the turbine in the exhaust path and (depending on set up) twists that the exhaust tubing makes to get to it. That was sited as a large contributor to lag as well. As far as power per pound of boost, with my KB, I make 376rwhp/385rwtq from just 7.5 psi on 93 octane premium pump gas. The stress can be argued two ways. Amount of boost and tune. Both are major factors. But, the tune is really the key to making any kind of power, whether it's a KB or a turbo (or anything for that matter). Blowing head gaskets will happen if you don't get it tuned right and it detonates (boy do I know that!!! lol!!). The tune is really the key to unlocking safe, detonation free power. Tune, tune, tune, I can't say it enough.

Here's another reason I vote KB: I'm cruising down the highway in overdrive at 55mph (about 1750 prm w/3.55's). I need to pass a car. I just crack the throttle a little bit, dial up a couple pounds of boost and away I go. No downshifting to get into the power band that begins at 2500 to 3500 rpm and builds from there. My positive displacement KB literally has a power band from 1500 to 5700 rpm. That means (nearly) full boost is available dependant on throttle position, not rpm. Do I make more power as rpm increases? Sure, more airflow through the engine. But the power is available down low where most of my driving/passing/etc. is done. For my puposes, the power is more usable.

Now, I'll play devil's advocate. Some of the fastest cars I have ever seen are single and twin turbos. And I think that a lot of the negative association with the turbo is from a lack of good, stable aftermarket kits. A lot of early turbo kits forced the user to fabricate, cut, and bend to get it to work. And then it was a tuning nightmare. (Don't worry about that with a KB!). More recently, the turbo is catching on now that there are some better kits out.

Matt, the question is, what do you want from your car?

Well I just drive my car on the street, dont drag, I like to race ppl once and a while just for kicks. Id like to know I have the fastest mustang around lol but thats not nesscary. I just want a nice weekend driver. KB is super easy to install which is a bonus.

Sweet vid Dal makes me wanna get a turbo lol

OP
OP
C

chickendreamer

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Well I just drive my car on the street, dont drag, I like to race ppl once and a while just for kicks. Id like to know I have the fastest mustang around lol but thats not nesscary. I just want a nice weekend driver. KB is super easy to install which is a bonus.

Sweet vid Dal makes me wanna get a turbo lol

Well if you ever make your way up to Edmonton let me know, i'll give you a ride in a turbo mustang.

jimgt95

Reaction score
Chickendreamer, I checked out your loooong post on turbomustang. You went through a lot of work and frustrations to get that turbo combo together. Sounds like it paid off though. Congrats!!

OP
OP
C

chickendreamer

Reaction score
jimgt95 said:
Chickendreamer, I checked out your loooong post on turbomustang. You went through a lot of work and frustrations to get that turbo combo together. Sounds like it paid off though. Congrats!!

Yes it took a lot of time. I still need to finish some things on it, it's basically a work in progress car.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
chickendreamer said:
jimgt95 said:

Yes it took a lot of time. I still need to finish some things on it, it's basically a work in progress car.

Post a link :)

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Downshift said:
I have seen 5.0 Turbos but I havnt seen any 4.6 Turbos. I just havnt looked. But I head the 4.6 are a bitch for just getting headers on, would it be like impossible to do a turbo kit on them? Just curious.

you better believe its a MAJOR BITCH to put headers on a 4.6 :mad:
oh boy that sucks. cause that mod is coming soon!

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
From my exp it's all about what your preference is and the funny thing is you'll hear that from lots of people b/c it's so true. Working within your budget whether it's purchasing the whole kit complete (which will break you $$$) or piecing one together.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each power adder. From my search to find the perfect one I started with a Vortech, KB and then Turbo.
I ran all combos on stock motor internals with nothing but blown hgs from tuning. I ran 14#s on the Vortech and 10#'s on the KB. My range of boost runs through a stepping motor boost controller and they boost can be increased or decreased inside the car with a couple buttons unlike changing pullies on the blowers.
IMO I will never have another supercharged combo ever unless I buy it with the car. I would prob pull it off and sell it for a turbo though because it is the ultimate power adder.

I've run better times and made more consistent power with this turbo. I have no dyno #'s but the track times are much better than with the blower. On the highway with the 2:73's that are in it now will run down most anything and leave it with just barely 1/4-1/2 throttle without even jumping into the boost. Anyone with a turbo kit on thier Stang will agree with that I'm sure. It's just an awesome feeling that the superchargers didn't even come close to. SC's are fun for torque, noise and power. A turbo is like adding a 200 shot of NOS and the bottle never runs out!
Add a 2 step and trans brake with a turbo and you'll run times you'd never imagined would come out of your car. Oh did I mention I run a stock longblock?? :eek: It is the same one with all the former combos and now @ 181K. I bought the car used with 129K from a used car dealer.
To sum up my opinion on this, get a turbo and run it on a stock motor until it breaks and replace it with another $200 5.0.
With all of the rumors and people exp's about splitting blocks and horrible 94-95 pistons my car is def a freak motor that just keeps going and going.
94turbo50017.jpg

4f-1.jpg

94kb503.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good writeup 94Turbo.
thanks for sharing yoru epxerience about it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
This shows what I'm on about.
Take a peak.

Note the boost and power numbers.

turbo mach vs 03 cobra

that was a good vid, I'm slightly supprised at the mach pulling on those the way it did and I also think its important to note that STOCK the mach does weigh a couple hundred pounds LESS that the Cobra model. The Mach was AWESOME non the less though :hitit:

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
both cars we're baddass makes me wanna go take my car for a blast but its late lol

Teal_Beast

Reaction score
Someone with a KB argued against the author about twin screw and Roots running out of breath up top because he said he makes peak at 5600.

What your not factoring into it is that were you make peak power has more to do with intake/head flow and cam profiling then source of boost. Your KB is still still inneficient up top, your just seeing peak @ 5600rpms because thats what the motor is built to do. a centrifugal s/c and expecually a turbocharger would still make peak HP **arround** 5600rpms, it would just make . . well more hp..

all in all a good write up.

Demolisher

Reaction score
i really want to turbo my car but untill then im spraying :dancing6: but damn turbo is the shit making big power ive seen vids of this guy 331 stroker+turbo and i belive he dynoing at 1000+HP if im correct hes called the SUPRA SLAYER O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online