Synthetic oil good or bad for my cobra

RoadZOmbie

Reaction score
I wonder why and how everyones car leaks when they switch to synthetic. I have switched back and forth and no leaks. I have been running Royal Purple 10-30 for the last 3 oil changes and just recently the new Royal Purple oil filter and no leaks to report. Its clean as whistle.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
RoadZOmbie said:
I wonder why and how everyones car leaks when they switch to synthetic. I have switched back and forth and no leaks. I have been running Royal Purple 10-30 for the last 3 oil changes and just recently the new Royal Purple oil filter and no leaks to report. Its clean as whistle.

I dont think they do but it got a bad rap for synth oil causing leaks b/c some did.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
You have to remember what weight oil your putting into your car. 5w20 is a thinner oil than 10w30. A thinner oil will leak through holes a thicker type oil won't. Thats why most people prefer putting thicker oil in high-mileage cars. Synthetic oil is a thinner type of oil than non-synthetic. Just make sure you choose the right weight. I don't recommend using 20w50, but some might like to use that type of extremely malasses thick oil. I consider 5w30 and 10w30 the most commonly used oils. I prefer 10w30 simply because it's not too thick, and it's not too thin.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and used Mobil1 5W30 full synthetic all summer and had no problems.
Might go to 10w30 next spring just to get a bit thicker oil.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
cobra97 said:
sk8inrj1 said:
I've got a 94 cobra with a 5.0 and the motor has 145,000 miles. Its ran on conventional oil from day one as far as I know. I switched to the high mileage conventional oil and caused by oil pan and rear main seal to leak. Would it be safe to go to synthetic. I know the benefits. I run amsoil in my v6 f150, my mom's v6 saturn vue and in my dad's 07 powerstroke. And I know it will not stop the leaking. Just wanna know if there will be anything bad?

Yeah Just wanted to know if there is any truth to full synthetic causing seals to leak on older cars like my 97. So far everyone has only good things to say. Haven't heard from anyone that says synthetic made there gaskets and seals leak after switching from standard oil.

Well, there used to be truth to that myth until the API stepped in and made all the oil companies fix that problem.

tankerman1981

Reaction score
used Mobil 1 in both my cobras 03 and 96 and have had no issues at all..its the only thing i run in then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online