T-45 to 4R70W Swap Genral Information

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Just finished the swap in my 97 Cobra a few weeks ago and had a few questions on another forum about it so this is a copy and paste from what I texted him earlier today basically. My particular conversation was about doing a auto on a 4V so yku won't have issues with the correct dip stick fitting.

I went to the junk yard and found a 1996 Gt. I took the Computer the computer wireing harness that runs from the computer down the passenger side fender all the way out to the electric fan. As well as the transmission harness. Basically coverted all the wireing besides the engine harness as the pin out from gt to cobra is the same minus the pin for imrc's. So if you have them they won't work but if not like mine it won't matter.

Used my 97 5 speed cross member with the 5 speed trans mount as there all the same I moved the tranny crossmember forward a bolt hole to work with the auto.(only works on 94-98 model i believe). I used the 5 speed driveshaft but I swapped on the auto specific yoke for the 4R70W. Ran a stock shifter and ended up buying a lokar dipstick. I tryed to get the sohc gt dip stick in the car but no matter what I tried it hit the head and wouldn't fit between the firewall and vc. The lokar piece is $90is bucks but it installs in minutes and will make life a lot easier for you. I also used the stock gt tranny lines from trans up to the rad. Support where I stepped up to a 3/8 aluminum line ran to a decent size trans cooler.

I kept the engine harness and car runs fine other then I had to go in the tune and make adjustments. The car will be 100% drivable as I drove mine for a week with no tune. But it shifted like a Gt at 5800ish rpm lol. Tweeked the tune and raised shift points(6800) rev limiter (7200) etc to make it run 100% as far as w.o.t computer controlled shifts. Also running a 3600 stall and car feels great. But if your isn't in the street a lot I would go 4k or so..
/txt

Soo idk if any of this will help other then its short sweet and to the point. If you swap in all the stock stuff from a donor car into your car it WILL work with no need for any fancy controller
icon_e_smile.gif
You will also need to determine if your crank is a 6 or 8 bolt and purchase the correct 164t flex plate for your app. And if you want a stall but are on a budget like me check out roadrunner converters online or ebay. Me and my dad both run them for the time being and at $345 shipped you can"t beat there price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online