T-45 tranny fluid

1BAD96SVT

Reaction score
Which one to go with i would some good stuff, was thinking royal purple but read they arent the best for the t-45.. :dunno:

warpspeed1414

Reaction score
I went with the royal purple in mine and love it. My trans shifts so much better. Use to be a grind going from 4th to 5th. Its gone. Since then I'v put royal purple in the rear end and engine also. I like it.

powerfreak

Reaction score
I used RP syncromax in mine...right after I changed it, it starting grinding a lot when it's cold. Once it warms up it shifts great. I might try switching back to the cheap stuff and see if it makes a difference...the grinding is annoying, never did it before.

riored96gt

Reaction score
Grinding? That's not good...and its probably not the fluid...

I use the Royal Purple in everything, Synchromax in the T-45.

powerfreak

Reaction score
Steeda98GT said:
So Royal Purple isn't good for the T-45??

I don't know honestly. I've read opinions either way. I know on mine (111K miles, whiney input shaft bearing), when I put in RP syncromax it would grind when it was cold. It shifted GREAT once it warmed up. I drained out the $25 of RP and went back to the cheap stuff and now it's better. SO I think if you have a high mileage tranny, stay with the cheap stuff. If you have some tranny issues, don't expect RP to be a quick fix.

SonicStang

Reaction score
I used the stuff you get at Ford and added a little bit of friction modifier.

powerfreak

Reaction score
RioRed96GT said:
Friction modifier in the tranny????

well...our tranny's take ATF...so who the hell knows. :dunno:

I have heard of friction modifier in T45's though.

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
i rebuilt my t-45 2 years ago and put GM syncromesh fluid in it and it shifted great. Then i decided to flush and fill it cause it had been 2 years and i used Moblil 1 synthetic ATF and right after i changed the fluid i noticed if im cruising in 4th gear for a while and i push the clutch in , i cant get out of 4th!! it sticks for a few seconds then slips out. Im going to get some more GM syncromesh fluid and change it back.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always used GM synchromesh in the T45, I use it in my current T56 too.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Mmm... Synchromesh FTMFW I used it in one of my Camrys way back when and DAMN what a difference!

Glad to hear our T45's like it too, guess I'm tossing some in. But my plan of attack is a little different...

Should I-
Go STRAIGHT TO Synchromesh
or
run ATF for 4-5K then dump it and go for Synchromesh?

I don't know how long the fluid in the trans has been there, might be original. I'm leaning toward a cycle of ATF then Synch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online