T-45 rebuild or upgrade?

Stringshaker

Reaction score
Hello,
new to the forum.
I just purchaseed a project 2000 gt and the trans is shot.
I was wondering if any thinks I should rebuild the T-45 or upgrade to another trans?
My plans are to build the engine to 300 to 350 rwhp N/A.
If I rebuild anyone have a place they would recommend to do it.
Thanks.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Astro used to be a big name years back. I’ve never had to tear one of these transmissions down so I can’t say anymore than that though.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Stan at Proforce performance is the man for these transmissions. My personal opinion is to keep the t45 and get it rebuilt. I prefer the shifting of a t45 over the later 3650.

If money isn’t an issue and you plan to keep the car, a t56 magnum swap would be great and will hold all the power you want it to.

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
Stan at Proforce performance is the man for these transmissions. My personal opinion is to keep the t45 and get it rebuilt. I prefer the shifting of a t45 over the later 3650.

If money isn’t an issue and you plan to keep the car, a t56 magnum swap would be great and will hold all the power you want it to.
Thanks for the info.
The car was a fixer-upper so I need to budget for possible engine work too.
Do you know what year they went to the 3650?
The car is a 2000.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
99 and 00 were mixed manual transmissions. Either t45 or 3650. Im pretty sure the 01up were only 3650.

07GtS197

Reaction score
01 was the transition year. Early 01’s got t45’s while the later builds got tr3650’s. My 01 is an early build with the t45.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If mine is a 3650 do you think its worth rebuilding?
Either transmission is worth rebuilding imo. Unless your trans has been swapped you have a t45. Externally, they look a little different, have different crossmembers and different shifters.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
For 300-350hp rebuild the T-45, Hanlon in PA is a good choice. I have an 01 Bullitt with the 3650 and none of these transmissions shift good. Mine, when bought, shifted stiff as a board and Hanlon suggested GM synchromesh. This helped alot but still does not shift as well as a T45. MGW is the best shifter for either transmission.
Astro Performance is closer: https://www.facebook.com/Astrotrans/

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
For 300-350hp rebuild the T-45, Hanlon in PA is a good choice. I have an 01 Bullitt with the 3650 and none of these transmissions shift good. Mine, when bought, shifted stiff as a board and Hanlon suggested GM synchromesh. This helped alot but still does not shift as well as a T45. MGW is the best shifter for either transmission.
Astro Performance is closer: https://www.facebook.com/Astrotrans/
Thank you,
will contact them for the particulars.
I see Jeggs has a Zumbrota reman. with a 2 year warranty for around 2,000.00
Anyone have any experience with Zumbrota drive products?

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
Either transmission is worth rebuilding imo. Unless your trans has been swapped you have a t45. Externally, they look a little different, have different crossmembers and different shifters.

Thanks,
you are correct it is a t45.

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
New trans.same problem.
I bought a remanufactured T-45 from Zumbrota drivetrain.
Had that along with new clutch and pres.plate insatalled in my 2000 gt.

All was good for about 2 weeks and 200mi,then it started getting harder and harder to get in or out of reverse.
Once backing out of my drive it got jammed in reverse and I had to rock it back and forth and apply ample pressure to get it out.

I tried replacing the shifter with a MGW shifter and it seemed to help.
I went back and forth in my driveway a least 10 times with no problem.
So I go out cruising thinking it may have been a bad shifter.
After about 30 min. I was heading home doing aprox 55 in 5th gear and aproaching a red light, I went to pop it in neutral and it was jammed in 5th.

I pulled off on the shoulder and tried eveything I could to get it in another gear to no avail.
I tried removing the shifter and putting the trans in neutral with a socket wrench handle.No way.

Had to get towed to the shop That put the trans in.
Called the guy that put it in and was told that these T-45's do this a lot.
Read up on it ,and did find a lot of posts on this issue.

The only remedy I found was replacing the shifter fork with one of a different length.
One other thing to mention,after I sat for 1.5 hr.s waiting for the tow truck I was able to get the trans. in 2nd gear.But it wasn't easy.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
T45 were famous for reverse engagement issues. Mine trans is flawless in any forward moving gear, but reverse has issues with getting it in. Once in though im good. I just make sure i dont park were reverse will be needed. I know this isnt the info you wanted, but you are not alone.

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
T45 were famous for reverse engagement issues. Mine trans is flawless in any forward moving gear, but reverse has issues with getting it in. Once in though im good. I just make sure i dont park were reverse will be needed. I know this isnt the info you wanted, but you are not alone.
Thanks for the reply
First it was reverse,now it's stuck in 5th.
The place that put it in will check it out.
I might have to send it back to the reman.folks to get it fixed under warranty.
I found a mod kit at Pro-Performance that is supposed to address this issue,uses a
Different shifter fork and some other bits.
I have to back out of my driveway,so reverse is gonna be needed.hehe.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
3 major upgrades needed for the t45's are the selector links that slip into the forks and are the links to the forks to be pushed or pulled into place. They are stamped steel and have been case harden. They have square corners that omit a crack that will eventually rip broken. They need to be radius relieved simply by grinding a radius into the square corner.

The 3rd/4th shift fork has 2 contact points inside the syncro ring and needs a 3rd contact point in the middle. By it not having the middle contact, the fork is forced into this rocking motion that's driven by the shift lever. The fork made of skinny aluminum cant hold up to this and eventually rips apart in the area of the selector shaft.

The other is the selector joint bolt. It resides at the trans top around the middle and needs a Torx55 tool to remove. This bolt has a portion of stud at its end and the selector joint rides on that stud. This stud is notorious for breaking off and leaving you stranded in only one gear with no chance for selecting a different gear and your situation sounds like thats where you are at.

Others here have upgraded these parts purchased from specific T45 rebuild companies that im not sure of if still in business, but they have had no issues afterwards. Unfortunately the transmission has to be disassembled to swap all these parts out.

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to school me!
I will not be working on it my self,but will pass this info along to the person who does.
I might just get a different trans if I'am able to return mine.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im going to agree with swapping out the trans for the newer version.

Far less issues from factory.

The T45 is a solid trans once corrected, but it takes some elbow grease and a little know how to get there

If you do decide to stick with the T45, Lwarrior1016 is probably the most knowledgeable with these trans around here. Building, rebuilding, buying the upgraded parts.....plus his extensive vast knowledge of transmissions to boot. The man is considered to be "THE MAN" by all who call themselves mechanics. There are others here that have rebuilt them and are knowledgeable too, but Lwarrior sticks out in my mind.

OP
OP
S

Stringshaker

Reaction score
Thanks,
good to know.
I will look into the 3650.
Would it entail a lot of mods to work?
Also what do you think of the TKX.
I know its about double the price,but tow bills ain't cheap and the cost of aggravation is bad for my soul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online