Tail lights

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Gonna be tinting my tail lights, 3rd brake light and rear side markers pretty soon once the nice weather comes. Going to be using Rustoleum Lens tint. Should i wet sand the lights first? If so what grit. I've read on different forums that the Rustoleum is a lot better to use than VHT because it comes out glossy not dull. I'll be doing the sidemarkers and 3rd brake light on the car and I'll probably take the tails out.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Sand with 1000 grit and use adhesion promoter before spraying the clear.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Good write up. I think it's definately do able with the horizontals, can't wait to do this. I'm gonna print out your write up and follow everything you did. Thanks man

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Wet sand 1000 grit, dry it, clean with alcohol, spray adhesion promoter, let it dry 5 mins, spray the tint and you're done . You can buy a can of adhesion promoter at Walmart or any auto parts store.

Let it dry for a day or two, wetsand with 2000 and start hand buffing using a rubbing compound followed by a swirl remover. It will come out shiny as hell.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Sinned83

Reaction score
Nope sealant is what I used instead of clear because I had a problem with the clear wanting to bubble. 1000 grit sand paper will still leave sanding marks you will want to use a couple finer grits IMO

chrisv_10

Reaction score
1000 grit will not leave sanding marks. Is gonna be pretty hard buffing out the horizontal tails with a buffer. You will have to do it by hand.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
This is kinda confuzzing me. Am I good if I just follow that write up in the link? Ah so the clear gave you an issue. What brand was it?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So basically spraying the clear on is the absolute last thing to do, no wetsanding or buffing after?

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Oh I didn't see the party where you said you were spraying clear. Do the steps I said. Let the lens tint dry a couple of hours, preferably out in the sun. Once its dry enough, wetsand with 1000 being careful not to sand through the tint. Dry it, clean it with alcohol and spray the krylon clear, be careful not to run it

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Let the clear dry a day or two then wetsand with 2000 then follow the buffing process.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I've tinted alot of headlights and tailights with no problems. I spray a tinted clear though, but I've done the rustoleum tint a couple of times without a clear over them and they turn out good after done wetsanding and buffing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cleared mine and they have held up nicely for over 5 yrs now. Get a good quality that has a good UV resistance and they should last a long time.

GTfiveoh

Reaction score
Another key to getting it glossy is finding the right distance to spray, if you're too far away it will look very dull, but if you're too close it will run so you want to find that happy median. And never stop spraying on the light, always start off the light glide over the light and finish off the light.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I used the rustoleum it's the best I've used or seen used yet. Nightshades seems to get flat looking. Whatever way you go don't skip on the prep work that's the most important step.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Thats what I've heard. A friend of mine tinted his tails on his gran cherokee with rustoleum and they came out real glossy. I'm gonna take my time with them for sure. You guys get your balls busted by cops for the tinted tails?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnnyOctane

Members online