Taking classes for autox

RichV

Reaction score
The Bentley (Speed Secrets) books are good. I have about 5 of them.

Yes, I do instruct HPDE. The key is to get out there, don't get caught up on mods you don't have. The car is much more capable than you, the first day you'll have so much stuff on your mind that you won't even be in tune with your car. Make sure you have plenty of meat on the brake pads, change fluids, including brake fluid, you don't want any cooling/overheating issues, and general safety like lugnuts, tires, leaks, etc. By the end of a event weekend, you can start focusing on what your car needs for mods, if you even get that far. I instruct HPDE1 students, some stay in HPDE1 for a year and some move to group 2 in 1 weekend. So it depends on driver.

I've had HPDE students that come out in a plane jane sedan and rock it! Then others come out in some super hot-rod and can't turn to save their lives. But after a session or 2 with me, they're like:
stig.jpg

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score

Yes, I do instruct HPDE. The key is to get out there, don't get caught up on mods you don't have. The car is much more capable than you, the first day you'll have so much stuff on your mind that you won't even be in tune with your car. Make sure you have plenty of meat on the brake pads, change fluids, including brake fluid, you don't want any cooling/overheating issues, and general safety like lugnuts, tires, leaks, etc. By the end of a event weekend, you can start focusing on what your car needs for mods, if you even get that far. I instruct HPDE1 students, some stay in HPDE1 for a year and some move to group 2 in 1 weekend. So it depends on driver.

I've had HPDE students that come out in a plane jane sedan and rock it! Then others come out in some super hot-rod and can't turn to save their lives. But after a session or 2 with me, they're like:
stig.jpg
Lol nice I am from a family of drag racing and I have done that since 08 but I wanna experience some thing new and a little better so I may be one of those guys that can't turn to save my life I hope not though

RichV

Reaction score
You speak a familiar story.

I was at the drag strip 1-2x per month. Always chasing ETs. Take the fun at the strip, 10-15 sec of driving, and put it in 4 full 20 minute sessions. Guarantee you'll enjoy it, and the fun part is that there is much more skill in driving than just how much you have in your car. The first time you chase down and pass a STi with your stock SN is a great feeling.

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score

I was at the drag strip 1-2x per month. Always chasing ETs. Take the fun at the strip, 10-15 sec of driving, and put it in 4 full 20 minute sessions. Guarantee you'll enjoy it, and the fun part is that there is much more skill in driving than just how much you have in your car. The first time you chase down and pass a STi with your stock SN is a great feeling.
I am extremely excited

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

For me, it was the turbo-charged BMW's ;) My current goal is Corvettes, and soon the more spec-oriented Miata's.

I am extremely excited

It's very addictive :)

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
970c31a7adfbd96fc365d53fdb619f05.jpg
2d6ccf5cb60b73a6cb75c763c619cfbc.jpg

So here is my helmet I will be taking to the class it was ok for drag racing or should I do the extra 100 something to get the bell helmet from the class if I can afford it

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my helmet I will be taking to the class it was ok for drag racing or should I do the extra 100 something to get the bell helmet from the class if I can afford it

Is it SA2010? Usually you have to pull aside one of the pads inside the helmet to find the sticker. If it's SA2010 then you are good to go. If it isn't, consider getting a SA2010. However, as long as the instructor/techs let you use that helmet, then it will probably be fine for your first time. But I'd still get a SA2010 soonest.

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
Is it SA2010? Usually you have to pull aside one of the pads inside the helmet to find the sticker. If it's SA2010 then you are good to go. If it isn't, consider getting a SA2010. However, as long as the instructor/techs let you use that helmet, then it will probably be fine for your first time. But I'd still get a SA2010 soonest.
It is not sa2010 when I go to pay I will talk to them and see what they say it may be worth buying one with the class if I can't use the one I already own

RichV

Reaction score
Last time I auto-x'd they didn't even check my helmet. But it was a fun-run type of event. I don't think you'll have an issue your 1st time, worst case you'll run a loaner. But ask the tech guy about ratings, and what you need for class XX.

This year is a certification year, so SA2015 will be available. When they are, the 2010 will go on discount. Just FYI.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The "Ultimate" one I have listed is essentially those 5 books (I think it's all 5) compiled into 1 book. By far my favorite of that type of book I've read to date.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not really I like turning the page not to mention all I have is my phone a big phone but it is no tablet

I'm with you, though I have a growing collection of eBooks, I still prefer real paper. Especially for things like this.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Between these books and the books ron sutton referred to me to read about suspension design, I have over $500 worth of literature to buy. Nothing is cheap... because racecar.

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
Well every one signed up to late for put on a waitlist and but for a email saying there going to do it again on the 22 if they get enough replys I said yes so we shall see

DavidBoren

Reaction score
If this class had so much interest in it that there is a wait list, I am sure that there will be enough for another class. This just gives you time to get new brake pads and paint your calipers.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If this class had so much interest in it that there is a wait list, I am sure that there will be enough for another class. This just gives you time to get new brake pads and paint your calipers.

I understand painted calipers are worth like +25hp. So worth the wait! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online