Taking classes for autox

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] don't you teach some classes, maybe you have some input.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Tyler is mainly looking for advice pertaining to the driving aspect of AutoX. His '95 GT is lowered on Eibach Sportlines without iso's, 315 nitto's out back with 373 gears. Otherwise stock suspension, brakes, and engine.

Given that throwing the entire Maximum Motorsports catalog at his car is not an option before this class, he is going to drive it as it is right now.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for input as to whether this class is worth the money as a way to start learning auto-x? Or are you (also?) looking for literature/books on how to auto-x?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Yeah, and the mach 1 chin ssplitter "aero package".

His car is stock with a little bit of LOW and some fat tires. You are probably going to break stuff... hopefully. Breaking oem parts means you have to buy new parts, and if you already have to buy new parts, you might as well buy high quality aftermarket parts.

Because racecar.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
PS. Mcglrs2, if you know some good books/literature about AutoX, please tell. Always looking to learn and expand the library.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PS. Mcglrs2, if you know some good books/literature about AutoX, please tell. Always looking to learn and expand the library.

I have several at home - when I get home after work I'll post their titles here. They are all worth a read, some are a little better than others.

So what's the OP's question regarding that Startingline site?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I think Tyler is looking for advice or secrets of how to AutoX, so he has an idea before taking the class. Tips on how or where to turn, what speed to be at, those sorts of technical things, so that he isn't hearing it for the first time at the class. Maybe he will come back and clarify exactly what kind of advice he is seeking.

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
It's mainly advice on autocross if. People think the class is going to be worth the money I am going to spend it a broad overview but I wanna go on to the class with a little knowledge over non of I go into the class

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Tyler, I think your phone is retarded, in every sense of the word. You need to re-read what you just posted.

And you wonder why I don't use tapatalk...

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
It's mainly advice on autocross if. People think the class is going to be worth the money I am going to spend it a broad overview but I wanna go on to the class with a little knowledge over non of I go into the class
Sorry for the misspelled things at work so doing this on phone

What I am looking for is a overview of autox so I am not going in to the class with no knowledge also input on if experienced people think the class is worth the money.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the misspelled things at work so doing this on phone

What I am looking for is a overview of autox so I am not going in to the class with no knowledge also input on if experienced people think the class is worth the money.

Gotcha. I'll post up some good reading material. Some of it will be Auto-X oriented, some of it will be HPDE/Road Race oriented, and some of it will just be race oriented. It will be a lot of a material. I recommend reading as much as you can get your hands on, and re-read multiple times. To keep things simple now, before I inundate you with reading material, I highly recommend this website: www.winhpde.com. It talks a lot about the basics, and even gets into advanced things as you become familiar. It's not Auto-X specific, but a lot of the concepts overlap between HDPE/Race/Auto-X and even every day street driving. Start with the Novice section and go from there.

I will post back later tonight with a selection of books. Some might be even be available on Kindle, not sure though.

The class will be worth it - any time or place you can get instruction and/or seat time is always well spent. If you can afford it, do it. And don't feel like you have to know anything for the class. That's the point of the class - to learn. You learn about it in class/with an instructor. You then practice it. So don't feel like you have to know things before going. In fact, it's probably better that you don't. You will be too focused on trying to remember stuff and get 50 billion different things right that you will miss out on the actual learning. Just go. 1 ) Be a sponge. Absorb as much as you can. Learn as much as you can (and maybe unlearn some stuff). 2) Be smooth. 3) Be in control. If you do those 3 things initially, the rest will come. And last of all, have fun :D

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
Gotcha. I'll post up some good reading material. Some of it will be Auto-X oriented, some of it will be HPDE/Road Race oriented, and some of it will just be race oriented. It will be a lot of a material. I recommend reading as much as you can get your hands on, and re-read multiple times. To keep things simple now, before I inundate you with reading material, I highly recommend this website: www.winhpde.com. It talks a lot about the basics, and even gets into advanced things as you become familiar. It's not Auto-X specific, but a lot of the concepts overlap between HDPE/Race/Auto-X and even every day street driving. Start with the Novice section and go from there.

I will post back later tonight with a selection of books. Some might be even be available on Kindle, not sure though.

The class will be worth it - any time or place you can get instruction and/or seat time is always well spent. If you can afford it, do it. And don't feel like you have to know anything for the class. That's the point of the class - to learn. You learn about it in class/with an instructor. You then practice it. So don't feel like you have to know things before going. In fact, it's probably better that you don't. You will be too focused on trying to remember stuff and get 50 billion different things right that you will miss out on the actual learning. Just go. 1 ) Be a sponge. Absorb as much as you can. Learn as much as you can (and maybe unlearn some stuff). 2) Be smooth. 3) Be in control. If you do those 3 things initially, the rest will come. And last of all, have fun :D
Thank you sir I have been reading that web site on my breaks now I am prob gonna go home and print that all put so its easy to read

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you sir I have been reading that web site on my breaks now I am prob gonna go home and print that all put so its easy to read

:thumbsup: I recommend re-reading it multiple times. Things don't always sink in the first-time around, and it might take the 3rd read before that "ah-ha, I totally get it!" moment occurs.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I know that there is really no comparison between kicking in doors/clearing rooms and driving a car, but something that was drilled into me whilst in the army was this phrase:

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

I don't know if that really applies here, but it seems pertinent.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I guess I can explain that a little better. Don't worry about speed. Worry about committing the correct movements to muscle memory. Speed will come on its own as you learn/remember/execute the right movements at the right time.

The focus of anyone learning anything should be how to do it right, not how to do it fast.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there is really no comparison between kicking in doors/clearing rooms and driving a car, but something that was drilled into me whilst in the army was this phrase:

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

I don't know if that really applies here, but it seems pertinent.

The pertinent part is really the latter half: smooth is fast. You will hear many an instructor say that while learning to race. Smooth is fast.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, books to read:

• Secrets of Solo Racing - Expert Techniques For Autocross & Time Trials
  • Ultimate Speed Secrets - The Complete Guide To High-Performance And Race Driving (this is probably my favorite - it has it all!)
  • Going Faster! - Mastering the Art of Race Driving (from the Skip Barber School of Racing - there's a DVD as well [which I have] - it's somewhat dated [lol 70's] but the info is still quite applicable)
  • Drive to Win - The Essential Guide to Race Driving (this one is by Carroll Smith; he is practically an expert when it comes to knowledge and experience; this book is very technical)
  • Speed Secrets - Winning Autocross Techniques (I have this in Kindle version)

Perhaps Interesting reads, though not directly related to actual technique:

• Haynes Motorsport Fitness Manual (perhaps a little dated, but it highlights how import being in shape is for race driving)
  • The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue (basically his story/autobiography, Mark Donohue is a racing legend and this books provides interesting insight into the world of racing and the sacrifices he made for it - he also died in a practice session shortly after the book was published, quite the tragedy)
  • The Front-Wheel Driving High-Performance Advantage (serves as a counterpoint to our RWD cars - one truly understands something when they can appreciate the opposite end of the spectrum)

I think that should be plenty to get you going. A couple focus specifically on Auto-X, most focus on Race driving. However, like I said before, immense overlap, minor differences. Techniques learned for one can be applied to the other. This is by no means the "it" collection of books. This is just what I happen to have in my bookshelf on the subject of learning to race. Others might have suggestions as well.

Here's a pic of the covers in case you want to see them (not pictured of course is the 1 I have in Kindle version):

IMG_3963.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online